Brinks BHS-4000A security system troubleshooting

Old 10-30-15, 06:30 PM
Brinks BHS-4000A security system troubleshooting

Iím new here so please bear with me if I donít provide enough info.
Anyway, I have an existing Brinks Alarm system, model BHS-4000a with premium keypad, Control panel, BHS-3250 wireless system, (1) wireless motion, (3) wireless door sensors (1) ďbreakingĒ sensor (glass I assume).

Now to my problem: Iím basically off contract with Brinks so i have the alarm system but without monitoring. Everything was working great (minor beeping every 24 hrs which is ok), until one day, I mistakenly disconnected all the wires/battery in the control unit due to constant beeping, thinking the alarm was having issue, which later i found was actually the home smoke detector (not connected whatsoever with the Alarm system), NOT the alarm systemÖ.yes my stupidity

When I connected all the wires back incl. the battery, the keypad is powered now BUT all the Zones that were programmed before (9,10,11,12,13) are not working, & shown as ďTroubleĒ in keypad (all of them), along with CP & CF. I know CP is just communication issue, and it was always there when I disconnected brinks, but Iím not sure why all the Zones are not working now, even the "door chimes" feature, pretty much all the zone sensors are just dead. Do I have to re-program the zones again? or do i have to do something with the wireless unit starting with BHS-3250 then all the sensors? any advice is greatly appreciated. I'll be happy to provide pictures if I have to.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-15, 08:21 PM
I don't know a lot about Brinks panels--most alarm techs on here don't, because all Brinks material is proprietary--but all dealer-grade alarm control panels have certain things in common these days. One thing is that powering down the system doesn't eliminate any programming. You did not commit any error by powering the panel down.

One thing also common to all panels is that they power up not knowing the state (open or closed) of its wireless (RF) sensors. The panel can't know because the panels only transmit status at intervals ("check-in" signal) or when the status changes (Open, Closed, Trouble). The check-in interval is typically around an hour, but I have no idea what interval Brinks uses. (I have heard of Brinks using several different RF systems--it's possible that a picture of the receiver circuit board would help).

Most panels' default assumption of the RF zones is "Normal" (non-alarm state) until they hear a transmission from each zone. It's possible that Brinks panels are set to consider all RF zone states as "Trouble" until it hears the first Check-in or change-of-state signal. You might just wait a few hours and see if anything changes. Or open a door and window here and there and see if that changes anything.

Old 10-30-15, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the response ChosunONe,

I did wait for an hour then some to see if there was any changes, and even open/close the doors, just to see if it would change anything, but absolutely nothing. It's like as if, there is no communication between the keypad & the wireless sensors.

I did take a few pics of the system, below
Master panel: http://i.imgur.com/6kGJ9MH.jpg?1
Master panel label: http://i.imgur.com/9qDQIQ8.jpg?1
Motion sensor: http://i.imgur.com/VsqagLO.jpg?1
Door sensor: http://i.imgur.com/qv4ME5Y.jpg?1
Wireless (BHS-3250) circuit board: http://i.imgur.com/cUhig3F.jpg?1

When i looked at the wireless circuit board, I could see the yellow LED on the right light-up intermittently, and the red LED on the left too sometimes. Tried to press the small button, i assume for reset, but still nothing...I couldn't find any manual for this one though...any thoughts?

Old 10-31-15, 06:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Brinks is proprietary. There's really no user level access that you can get to the software side of the system. You can check and see if you have power to the wireless receiver.

Otherwise, the standard advice to Brinks/Broadcom security hardware is to start over with something more industry standard.

Old 10-31-15, 04:07 PM
Thanks MrRon,

That's why I keep beating myself up , just 1 stupid mistake and now everything is going haywire I know the wireless receiver (BHS-3250) has power in it, since the yellow/red led is flashing intermittently, but not sure what it is doing.

Anyway, is there anything you guys can recommend to replace my current system that is pretty basic (easy to install/upgrade from my current system) but can do the job? I don't really need a sophisticated system, but i guess have to be wireless. I'm hoping I can just replace the keypad/control unit and used the existing sensors (doors/motion) OR keep the keypad/control unit/siren, and just replace the wireless sensors. either way...but like you guys said since Brink is proprietary so i bet i have to replace everything . Please let me know what you guys think, and probably recommend a system. Thanks again, I really appreciate all the response

Old 10-31-15, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If they used the standard wireless setup, the transmitters are actually the same 5800 series used by Honeywell. So your quick and dirty replacement would be to go with a Vista-15P or Vista-20P and a 6160RF keypad (which would take care of the wireless receiver), you _should_ be able to reuse the existing wireless transmitters.

Old 11-01-15, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the info again MrRon,

been looking at some Honeywell Vista with the 6160RF keypad, and found this in ebay:

Honeywell Vista 20P and 6160RF Keypad New Updated 10 23 Version not Old 9 18 | eBay

Will this do to replace my current system? looks like just replace the existing alarm control board & the keypad with this, and use my existing siren, RF transmitter, door sensor and motion. That's it right? I assume when i install the new keypad & control board, I can then program those wireless sensors right?
Am i missing anything?

Old 11-01-15, 06:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will probably have to replace the siren, or install a siren driver card. The brinks system has a built in siren driver, and so the siren is a speaker. Either solution is relatively inexpensive.

Old 11-01-15, 04:39 PM
Thanks MrRonFL,
I'll put that in my project list, and definitely check back here again if I have any hiccups. Thank you again for all the advice

Old 11-02-15, 07:48 PM
One more question,
If I get Vista 15p/20P, can I use 6150RF keypad instead of 6160RF?
I seems the price is cheaper but I want to make sure that it will work with my existing wireless transmitter & sensors (BHS-3250).

Thanks again.

Old 11-02-15, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately, you will need the 6160 Alphanumeric Keypad to program your Vista panel.

The 6150RF would work for all uses of the system after the system has been programmed, but it's Fixed-English rather than Alphanumeric and won't give you the 2-line Alpha display you will need for interactive menu programming you need to program the zones.

Old 11-03-15, 08:17 AM
Thank you chosunONe.

I've been reading more than i should on this Alarm component thing, and the more I read, the more stuff pops out in my head anyway, just one more thing, If I have an existing Wireless transmitter (bhs-3250) which I couldn't find any info on it except to see it is made by honeywell on the chip, do I still need to get the 6160RF version? I assume the 6160RF will communicate directly with all the door & the motion sensors right? and I can just disconnect the wireless transmitter (bhs-3250). Thanks again for all the help

Old 11-03-15, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While the _transmitters_ are standard Honeywell 5800 series devices, the BHS-3250 _receiver_ only works with the Brinks BHS intrusion alarm system.

The RF component of the 6160RF replaces the separate wireless receiver.

Old 11-03-15, 05:10 PM
Thanks for everything MrRonFL & Chosunone.
You both been great. Just ordered it, hopefully it should be here by this week.