Newbie question on wireless zone assignments in DSC PC1616

Old 11-01-15, 04:47 PM
Post Newbie question on wireless zone assignments in DSC PC1616

Hello! I am fairly new to DSC home security set-up. I have found the information in this forum very useful and hoping I can get the right guidance. I have a PC1616 (6 hardwired zones) expanded to 32 wireless zones with a RF5132-433 and a PK5501 display panel. All the 6 hardwired zones were set up by my installer and control various doors and windows around the perimeter of the house. I have successfully added a wireless key FOB (WS4939) to the system this weekend and that was fairly straightforward.

I would like to now add a couple of wireless CO detectors (WS4913), starting with one. I would prefer not to touch the wired zone setup (Section 001) for fear of disturbing any of the wired zones, unless there is a way to just "incrementally" add zone 07 zone-type settings without having to retype all the 6 wired zone type settings (01-06).

Question 1: Is there a programming short cut for this? All the examples I have see thus far show how all the zone types can be specified (e.g.,
*8 [installer code]
001 01 03 03 03 13 05 01 # )
but not just one new zone type that needs to be added.

Question 2: If answer to Q1 is "no", would it be workable/straightforward to assign all the new wireless zones I want to add to Section 002. My understanding is that Section 001 has definitions for zones 01-16 and Section 002 will have definitions for zones 17-32. This way I won't be touching the wired zone settings and hence no risk of any mess-up.

Question 3: With the RF5132-433 already set up on my system and the 6 hardwired zones, do I have (a) 6 wired + 32 wireless = 38 zones in total, OR (b) 6 wired + 10 wireless = 16 zones since it is tied into a PC1616 which is limited to 16 zones, OR (c) something else altogether?

Thanks for any help and pointers!

Surven

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-15, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, if you check section 3.3.4 of the installer manual (http://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=17007), while you are in programming, you can press one of the panic keys to step through the segments of a programming location without altering the data. When you get to the section you want to change, then you can enter the data you want.

You have 32 total zones: 6 hardwired, the remainder being the wireless, and you can assign a wireless zone to any unused zone number.

Old 11-08-15, 08:52 AM
That works! Thank you!

Thank you for the quick response, MrRonFL! I believe I have one wireless CO sensor working now on zone 7 (tamper light comes on when I remove the back cover). I am waiting for delivery of another wireless CO sensor and 2 wireless smoke detectors and plan to add them in a similar fashion.

One question I have is around tripping the CO sensors and smoke detectors - is there any easy way to test that it really works?

For benefit for anyone else interested in the programming aspects, here are the steps to add the wireless CO sensor:

*8 4DigitInstallerCode
001 <Panic> <Panic> <Panic> <Panic> <Panic> <Panic> 81 # -- assigns the zone-type for Zone 7
107 8 # -- Tells the panel that Zone 7 is wireless
202 7 # -- Assigns Zone 7 to partition 1
804 07 6HexDigitESN # -- Enrolls the wireless device
#

Old 11-08-15, 11:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most home centers like Home Depot and Lowes carry small cans of test smoke and CO detector that you can use to live test the detectors.

Old 11-11-15, 07:54 PM
Thanks, MrRonFL! Will look into that.

I just received two wireless fire alarms and want to set them up for zones 9 and 10 in partition 1. I have a very basic PK5501 keypad and am not totally comfortable with the (lack of) feedback.

To assign the zones 9 and 10 to partition 1, what is the correct way to code - method 1 OR 2 below? I am thinking method 1 but not sure if the zone is treated as the index over a base of 8. I need some help, please! Thank you!

Method 1
203 9 #
203 10 #

Method 2
203 1 #
203 2 #

Old 11-11-15, 09:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is feedback. The row of numbers at the top of the display takes the place of the LED array on a LED keypad model.

Both versions are incorrect. You are toggling options on.

203 1 2 # (you will see the numbers 1 and 2 turn on to indicate that those option segments are now ON)

Read the section on advanced keypad programming starting on page 9 of the installer manual: http://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=17007

Old 11-12-15, 09:05 AM
Using canned smoke

Read and follow the instructions on the canned smoke. In particular, how far from the detector to hold the can and how much to spray. I had to replace smokes several times after homeowners loaded them up with spray smoke. Canned smoke's primary function is insure smoke particles can enter the detector and that light source and receiver both work. It won't tell you if the detector is within calibration limits, but the electronics in later smokes seemed to do a good job of that.

Mark the detector with a "replace by" date no more than 10 years away.

Last edited by ThisOldMan; 11-12-15 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added "replace by" note