Reset code on ADT system

Old 11-01-15, 05:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reset code on ADT system

I got here through a Google search and trying to figure out how to reset the code on my ADT system

I saw the following threads but dont seem to be going anywhere so wondering where i am stuck
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...er-code.html#b
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-system.html#b

I have the hard wired Ademco Vista 20T series system

I called the previous home owner and asked them for a code. They gave me the code and I tried it on. So i set the system to Stay and then tried to disarm it. Turns out that the code might be incorrect.

So the alarm rang quite loudly (glad it works) and i could not do anything about it. I called ADT and they showed me how to power it off. To reset the code they want me to get activation done, which i dont want to do

So right now, my home security system is set to "Stay" when powered on. But i cannot turn it off. How do i do that?

I assume once i get it to "normal" then i can program a new code, but cannot do it before that

Any tips appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-15, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Are you sure that the suffix on the model number is a 20_T_?

In any case, if you power the system down, fully, and press * +# within 50sec of restoring AC power, the system should jump into programming mode. If the initial location displayed is 20, press #20 and it will read back the installer code, one digit at a time (ignore leading zeros).

Old 11-01-15, 06:32 PM
I tried this but it did not work

The system controls say "Vista-20P/PS SERIES, VISTA-15P SERIES"

Any other ideas?

Old 11-01-15, 06:36 PM
And this time when I turned it on, after I think a minute it started squealing the alarm so I had to cut the power

Old 11-02-15, 02:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Ok, it's a Vista 20p. That makes much more sense. If pressing * + # within 50 seconds of restoring AC power doesn't jump you into programming, then that means that the ADT franchise used downloader software to disable local programming access.

In that case, all you can do to fix it, is to replace the Vista 20p motherboard (yes, you would be programming everything from scratch). At least one of your keypads would need to be, or upgraded to a 6160 (or equivalent) to access the required programming menus.

Old 11-02-15, 09:15 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Someuser, just to be clear about the instructions:

What you tried was to unplug the panel's transformer and take one wire off the battery,

Then plug the transformer back in and run to the keypad,

And within 50 seconds of plugging in the transformer, press * and # _together_, _simultaneously_, and at the same time, and hold them in for at least 3 seconds (or until the number "20" showed on the display somewhere).

That's what you did that didn't work? Usually that procedure puts you in programming, and you have to enter *99 to exit back to normal mode.

Old 11-15-15, 11:49 AM
Finally got around to getting this done.

It worked.

They key was to press simultaneously which I was missing before

Also got the entry code changed and now I can set away and stay and reset it. Which is awesome

Thx for your help all!!

Now to the next question which I will start a new thread on now