Getting started with a DIY home security system

Old 11-01-15, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting started with a DIY home security system

I will be travelling for a month and I wanted to get my home security system together.

When I bought the house i am in, there was already an ADT system in place. I have another thread going where i am trying to figure out how to reset that system without having to pay ADT

Now, I see options out there with DropCam and other camera options in HomeDepot/Lowes.

Here are my requirements from a home security system
1. Connected with the ADT system I already have in the house
2. Ability to monitor and turn system on/off from outside the home. Great if its on the home wifi
3. Ability to get alerts when the system is activated (email, text, phone, ...)
3. Ability to see the cameras when i am outside the house

I am a N00B here but quite technical. Any ideas where i might start for this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-15, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
In general, cameras and intrusion alarms are completely separate things. Some vendors sell a package that _looks_ like they are integrated, but they really aren't; they just send the info to you through a common application.

You could get a something like a Vista 20p system and connect to it with the Envisalink module for remote access (a currently popular DiY solution), and add a couple of IP cameras that you can remotely access; or even a DVR with IP access.

Old 11-08-15, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just re-activated an ADT system that I got installed a few years ago by ADT. However the system is DSC PC5010. You should look at the PCB in your panel and Keypad to identify the existing system. It is quite possible that your system can be expanded by using I/O modules, easily available.

I myself, added an Extra Keypad (second entry), wireless motion sensor and wireless smoke alarm to my existing system and upgraded the main keypad as well. I also installed the Envisalink-3 for remote Arm / Disarm and it works well. My new upgrades are only a couple of weeks old and I am thinking of adding cameras to my home. However you can keep camera / video surveillance separate from home alarm. Just hook up the camera to your wifi router and use the manufacturer's app (eg. dlink) to view them from mobile devices or web browsers.