Motion sensor placement

Old 11-05-15, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motion sensor placement

Hi,
I'm about to install a wireless alarm at our house and I'm trying to plan out placement of the sensors. I have a problem properly placing a motion sensor in our hallway which is about 4.25 meters in length with front door on one side,a french door leading to the patio on the other side and a staircase in the middle. There is also a small dog roaming freely in the house. I've heard I should not mount the sensors facing the stairs if there is a pet in the house to prevent false alarms.. so I guess that limits my options even more. I'm including a floor plan of the first floor, maybe it will help. Image 2015-11-05 at 11.07.53 AM.png

Also, I'm going with a Jablotron 100 series system as this is what most people have installed in their houses around here. I wanted to go with their JA-160PC motion sensor with built in camera, but it only has a PIR sensor... would a PIR+microwave sensor work better in the hallway?

Thanks!
Jan

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-15, 02:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
If it's a standard height patio door, mount the motion above the door facing toward the front door.

Old 11-05-15, 02:57 AM
Thanks! One more question, it might seem stupid, but I don't know how sensitive these devices are. The stairs are the open riser type.. is it possible the motion sensor could still somehow "see" my dog through the space between the steps?

Old 11-05-15, 04:10 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Motion Detector

While Passive Infrared (PIR) may not the best technology for a hallway, it is the only technology feasible for wireless (i.e. limited power). Microwave is an active technology, constantly transmitting a signal, and if their PIR-Microwave unit is truly wireless, you'll constantly be changing batteries.

Think of a PIR detector as a camera; it has a lens, focal length and field of view, just no physical shutter. It's most sensitive across its field of view and that is physically constrained in a hallway, so motion can be "seen" in only a limited area. If available, I would suggest a long-range lens, almost like a telephoto lens.

As for the dog, you are right about pointing it at stairs. For other locations, see if they offer a detector or lens option for pets. Or you can try mounting the PIR about waist-high and bottom-end-up.

Old 11-05-15, 07:34 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why do you need a motion sensor in that area? Just put a door sensor on the patio and one on the front door. If someone is going to enter your house, it will be through a window or a door. As long as those are all protected, what's the point in having a motion sensor? If you must use motion sensors, perhaps mount a few in the rooms leading into the hallway as opposed to in the hallway, and mount door and window sensors on any exterior doors/windows that lead directly into the hall. OR, get a bigger dog!

Last edited by mossman; 11-05-15 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-05-15, 03:20 PM
The system needs to have a motion sensor in every room with a window in order to get approved with the insurance company...most systems here in Europe do have a motion in almost every room so I guess its an industry standard..but back when we had a system installed in our summer house they had to put a motion in a bathroom for it to be ok to receive the insurance discount which I think is a bit ridiculous..

Anyway, I decided that I will get the PIR-only motion with pet lens and mount it above the patio door sa MrRonFL suggested and if it false alarms we'll just keep the dog downstairs with no access to stairs while we're out.
Thanks to everyone for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Jan