7845GSM cell backup tamper switch won't stay in

Old 11-06-15, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
7845GSM cell backup tamper switch won't stay in

Hi, I have a 7845GSM cell backup box on my home alarm system. I just replaced the battery as I got a call from the alarm monitoring company that the old battery was dying. I just replaced it. The box is up in a hot attic which I'm sure took it's toll on warping the plastic as did my attempt to get in, and replace the battery. No matter how tight I get the box closed, there is still some play in the case that goes over it, especially in the upper right corner. Seems it's not pressing the tamper switch tight enough, and I am getting a "check bF" code on my panel which just won't go away. Any way to just somehow keep the little button on the switch pressed all the way in, but not permanently as I read you have to press it 3 time to reset, etc. But keep it in otherwise so I don't keep getting the check/tamper code? Thanks much.

Here is a pic of the inside of the box, and I circled where the tamper switch is at.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-15, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
There isn't much you can do the switch and that is a sensitive area of the board so you don't want to glue or attach anything there.

How about one of those little round rubber feet that get self stuck on the bottom of vases and the like to keep from scratching. You could stick it right on the switch itself.

Another thing that comes to mind...a small piece of rubber hose or PVC tubing that would tightly slide on to the switch or even the actuator on the cover to make it slightly longer.

Old 11-06-15, 04:15 PM
Thanks PJmax, I never thought of attaching something to the actual part on the case that pushes the button in, LOL. Prolly safer than fooling around with the button itself and I can make it a little wider. Prolly missing the button as is than not pushing it in far enough is my guess, but that should take care of both. Thanks again.

Old 11-06-15, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
I've had to superglue a scrap of plastic to the protrusion on the cover that actuates that little button on similar devices. They don't provide a command to simply turn that cover tamper off...

Old 11-06-15, 06:42 PM
If that is the 2G model, you might want to upgrade because 2G is going away soon.

Old 11-07-15, 09:32 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
When/If the unit is replaced, I suggest you look at the temperature requirements. You don't show a location, but in many areas summertime in the attic would mean death to electronics. Some early ATM manufacturers learned about temperature limits the hard way.

Old 11-07-15, 10:51 AM
Thanks MrRonFL, am thinking on doing that now, a project for Monday, I'll have to call the alarm company to put me in test mode for a while. Yep, no matter what I try, can't get rid of the flashing bF. Guess it doesn't really hurt anything, but have to wait thru that to see what I want on the display.

Old 11-07-15, 10:55 AM
Thanks tpring, yep 2G, but I plan on being out of this house next year sometime, and plan on riding the system out, I think the 2G goes dark on 1/1/17. I plan to move by then. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 11-07-15, 11:01 AM
Thanks ThisOldMan, yeah, it gets 110-125 degrees in there in the summer. Prolly why cover is warped. The cell backup was in my basement, but signal wasn't strong, and where I put it now showed to be the strongest signal. I plan on being out of this house by next summer. I'm in Cleveland, OH, so can get quite warm, but rarely over 95 degrees outside. I have no landline, so have to rely on the cell backup only, and so far performed well.

Old 11-16-15, 10:17 AM
Fixed

Thanks everyone. Over the weekend I took a small piece of that foam insulation you use for insulating around your doors in cold weather, put the sticky side against the tamper switch, pushed the cover on, and no more problems! just enough adhesive to keep in on the switch while I was putting the cover back on, but prolly not too much if it needs removed at some point. I felt that was better than putting the adhesive side against the prong in the cover where I felt it didn't stick as well when putting the cover back on. I put a piece of Gorilla tape to hold the corner of the cover snug. Next trip to Home Creepo I hope to find a clamp that will fit to hold the cover snug. But I think I'm OK as is.