Question on wireless security and going hard wired

Old 11-07-15, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on wireless security and going hard wired

Hello,

Have any of you read the articles about how easily hackable wireless alarm systems are? A common burglar probably couldn't do it but I still have concerns. I think someone has a lawsuit against adt about this.

Even with a $10 sdr receiver you could capture wireless keypad entry's. Some of the newer key fobs have a high security option that does some basic scrambling but where are the keypads with this feature? I'm quite certain my 5828 keypads send the code in the clear. I was wondering if there were any new ademco keypads coming out with the high security feature?

I'm very tempted to go all hard wired but I don't want a bunch of holes in my house or to pull baseboards and such. I could do some strategic runs along the baseboard and through closets. We also have a hole behind the fridge where a water line used to be that I could use. It wouldn't look as good but would be better than drilling through the floor plate in my house. I guess everything is moot anyway if they were to cut my cable line outside,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-15, 10:26 AM
You may be over-thinking the role of an alarm system -- security is only as effective as its weakest link.

Old 11-07-15, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
While this has been reported (and somewhat overblown), the technical skill involved is such that a typical residential burglar simply won't have those skills or tools. These are mostly creatures of opportunity, and the mere existence of a working security system typically makes them pick an easier target.

Only someone looking to bypass the security of a fairly high end target would even try such a technique, in my opinion.

Old 11-08-15, 08:26 PM
As someone whose been burglarized I am over cautious about these kind of things. I just switched out the all in one unit and upgraded to a vista so I'm obsessed at the moment. Its a nice feeling to know that it would be difficult for someone to enter the house without alerting me while asleep etc.

Some basic encryption on wireless keypads and sensors would at least prevent people from using a receiver to sniff a code from your keypad. I completely agree that it would be unlikely in the first place for a residential burglar however the extra security features should be basic stuff by now.

I am more concerned about the signal troubles I've had with some of my sensors although rare. They are well within range of a receiver. Its weird but even snow on the house has caused issues. Maybe my next project will be to install a repeater.

After damaging some of my carpet and vinyl for other wires I'm not in the mood for more holes. I also feel uneasy about drilling up through the wall. Are most of you guys content with wireless on your personal setup?

Old 11-09-15, 02:25 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I prefer hardwired, but I'm VERY old school. I can test and measure a wire connecting a device to the panel. I'm pretty RF savvy, having dealt in 2-way radios on the side for years and as a ham, but I can't reasonably test and measure the RF path between a device and the panel.

That said, 20 years ago it took a good installer to do a clean hardwired residential system, and I doubt that has changed. Ahead of equipment, wire and supplies, labor was the greatest cost of an install and that probably hasn't changed either.

Since it takes less time to train someone to do a quicker install with wireless, that appears to be why residential has so much wireless today. Wireless technology has improved and tightly integrating it into systems has made it easier to use and service.

Old 11-09-15, 04:53 PM
While there was the ADT lawsuit and some subsequent news about the RF "hacking", I've never heard of a confirmed break-in that was caused by that type of hacking.

In fact, I believe the person in the lawsuit was blaming ADT for their "unsecure" system because they had false alarm fines from the city. I always wondered about the logic in their argument in that case. If someone was "hacking" their system, wouldn't they be breaking in and causing the system not to go into alarm as opposed to setting off the alarm for no reason?

With all that said, there's nothing wrong with trying to be as secure as possible. Honeywell is coming out with the new all-in-one Lyric system that will use encrypted wireless sensors and most of the other all-in-one manufacturers will be following suit I'm sure. I know the Lyric should be available by the end of the year.

If I had a LYNX Touch, I wouldn't be rushing out to get a Lyric and all new sensors just to avoid RF hacking though.

Old 11-09-15, 05:27 PM
Will they release a new receiver for the vista to be compatible with these new sensors? I would hope that I don't need a new panel as I just upgraded. I have no interest in home automation or all in one systems although the lynx was a good start. I also wonder if the repeaters would still be compatible? Wireless seems to be getting better all the time so I've decided to stay with it.

What I love about the vista is that you can use 3rd party modules like the envisalink.

thisoldman - thanks for the insight. I'm a new ham and having a blast with digital modes.

Last edited by spork1; 11-09-15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 05:40 PM
I would imagine they will eventually but they haven't announced anything yet.

The range on the new encrypted sensors will be much better than 5800 Series sensors so repeaters shouldn't be needed.

Old 11-09-15, 05:54 PM
they had a email address on the lyric page so I asked them about this. Will see if I get a response.