Help with activating Vista 20p throught Normally Open (NO) switch zone type 77

Old 11-12-15, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with activating Vista 20p throught Normally Open (NO) switch zone type 77

I'm trying to integrate my Vista 20p panel with my home automation software and am running into a small problem that I cant seem to figure out. I'm using a Normally Open (NO) switch to trigger the panel to arm but I cant figure out why 90% of the time it arms in stay mode and not away. Is there a certain time period that the switch needs to activate in order for it to arm in away mode. Is there a certain sequence that needs to happen. I'm using zone type 77 which is a keyswitch zone type.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-15, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the pro on the Vista systems but I know on many of these systems when you arm for "away"..... if the delayed exit/entrance door is not opened the system knows no one left and converts to "stay" mode.

Old 11-12-15, 10:43 AM
Yes I know of that functionality, but it is arming strait into stay mode. If I keep arming and disarming it multiple times it may eventually arm in away mode, but there is no pattern to this.

Thanks

Old 11-12-15, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Zone type 77 (Keyswitch) is just a straight toggle. There's no settings or adjustments to it. You short it once while disarmed, and the system arms; you short it again while armed and it disarms. You can turn off the auto-stay feature totally, but there's no way to make it differentiate arming modes with a keyswitch arming function.

Old 11-12-15, 03:22 PM
MrRon thanks for the reply. That's what I expected also but there has to be something that's making it arm in stay and not away. Like I said in me previous post it sometimes arms in away for some reason.

I don't want to disable arming in stay mode because we use that mode nightly.

Thanks

Old 11-12-15, 03:27 PM
One more thing I think I may have mis understood in your previous post. It's not changing from away to stay mode because I didn't open a door, it simple arms in stay mode.

Old 11-12-15, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Right.... I said if you don't leave the premise.... the alarm will set directly in stay mode.
(It doesn't show armed away and then change to stay.... it just arms in stay)
Mr Ron said you can turn that "auto-stay" feature off.

Old 11-13-15, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately that's not how it's working, and I don't believe that's how the Vista systems work.

you said (It doesn't show armed away and then change to stay.... it just arms in stay)

Forget my home automation for a minute, if I arm my system in away mode it starts a countdown and if I don't open a exit door it changes to stay. If I use my keyfob and arm it to away it doesn't require me to open a door and simple stays in away mode.

Back to my home automation setup. I sitting in front of the keypad and testing this out, I'm not actually waiting for it to fully arm. I can arm and disarm it 20 times in a row and it only arms in away mode a couple times, it makes no sense to me. my setup simple closes the N/O switch for 2 seconds, nothing special. I tried changing from zone type 77 to a keyfob zone type but that zone type only works with 5800 keyfobs.

I guess I can deal with this since its only for times we forget to arm the system which doesn't happen that often, but is just a little frustrating.

thanks for all the help guys

Old 11-13-15, 07:08 PM
The vista panel needs a momentary short to arm away. If a short is applied and maintained for ~ 10 seconds, the panel with arm stay.