Moveable windows with shock sensors?

Old 11-22-15, 01:51 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moveable windows with shock sensors?

Hello,

I was wondering how you go about using shock sensors for the movable portion of a window or patio door? I was thinking of adding some to my 5816 transmitters. One thought was that I might need 2 transmitters with one of them being mounted on the frame of the glass and leaving the magnet stationary.

I also found something called butterfly contacts and was wondering how reliable those were to opening and closing? It would be nice to have both shock sensors on a single transmitter.

I might simply stay with the standard contact and a glass break sensor. I was also considering to move the glass break sensor into the window frame so as to not be blocked by curtains.

Windows seem difficult to protect. I may end up using a motion sensor for more reliable protection of the basement windows where no one would be during stay mode.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-15, 02:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Honeywell does make a 5800 series shock sensor: 5800SS1

For the most part, unless the curtains are heavy, an acoustic glass break sensor will still work.

Old 11-22-15, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 637 Votes on 589 Posts
I find that fewer and fewer people opt for glass breaks that are hard wired on the window... instead they choose to use a ceiling mounted glass break that covers the entire room.

Old 11-22-15, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,020 Votes on 946 Posts
instead they choose to use a ceiling mounted glass break that covers the entire room.
Agreed...... or one mounted on the wall.

Old 11-23-15, 04:34 PM
S
In my research I found some valid arguments that shock sensors are better protection. There are ways to break, cut, and remove the glass without noise. I'm sure this is rare but it does happen. I have motions for backup.

However a lot of homes only have 1 window in the bedrooms and it could simply be more frugal to go with shock sensors and using the loop terminals from existing transmitters.

I ordered a glass break tester so I can see for myself if my sensors will work through curtains.

Old 11-23-15, 05:38 PM
T
Glass break testers are fine but, the only true test is breaking the glass -- which is impractical. That is why I rarely recommend glass breaks.

They are meant for big windows and sliding glass doors. Small and medium windows are questionable. Explosions on TV can also set it off -- I prefer motions.

Old 11-24-15, 05:16 PM
S
I like to keep the alarm on at night so the only practical place is in the basement for a motion when home. I have 2 ground level windows there that would be easy to break and come through. Not sure how easy it would be to pry them open.

My panel is in the unfinished area so I'm planning to add a motion to protect it as I don't completely trust the glass break sensor. Along with a sensor on the door that leads to the finished area and the rest of the house.

I've had bottle rockets from neighbors and other various things test some of my sensors and it worked without breaking the window. A few I'm uncertain about placement thats why I ordered the tester so I can experiment with curtains and such. So yeah I like the motions better too but not so much when I'm home.