Getting a DSC 5010 alarm system to call my cell phone....

Old 11-29-15, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting a DSC 5010 alarm system to call my cell phone....

I have a DSC 5010 system with LCD5501Z keypads and I do have the manuals. I've been attempting to configure the system to call my cell phone (with no monitoring service). I have read much on the internet about this and there is lots of suggestions out there. I did get it to work successfully one time calling my cell phone and landline (cell set as 1st number and landline set as 2nd number). I had entered my landline just as a test. After the first success I tried getting it to call my cell phone and my wife’s cell phone which did not work. I tried setting it back to the way I had and it has not worked since. I have gone over and over my settings and have tried many options for entering the phone numbers in Section 301 and 302 and of course tried using just one number with my phone cell. The DSC 5010 is seizing the telephone line and dialing the number(s) but it doesn't connect. When I pickup the landline after the triggering the system, I can hear it is dialing. It seems to seize the line for about 5 minutes or so - don't know if that’s normal to just attempt dialing a number 8 times. I am learning to use the system and I have read a lot and starting to understand it better. Even still, I just can't seem to figure this out – what went wrong. At this point I'm wondering if I haven't inadvertently messed up another setting that is causing a conflict. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Here is my configuration.....
Section 160 = 008
Section 161 = 040
Section 301 = *, 4, *, NNNNNNNNNN (10 digits as required here), *, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, ….. (cell phone)
Section 302 = *, 4, *, NNNNNNNNNN (10 digits as required here), *, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, ….. (landline)

As for phone numbers, I've tried every suggestion I could find....
Just the 10 digit phone number - NNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNN, *, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, …..
NNNNNNNNNN, *, 6, *
*, 4, *, NNNNNNNNNN, *, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, …..
*, 4, *, NNNNNNNNNN, *,5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, …..
with more pauses...
*, 4, *, NNN,*,5,*,NNN,*,5,*,NNNN (10 digits as required here), *,5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, …..
and many more combinations I don't remember....

Section 310 = 1, 1, 1, 1
Section 320 = 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08
Section 321 = 09, 10, 11, etc.,
Section 322 = 17, 18, etc.,
Section 323 = 25, 26, etc.,
(I do have 32 zones)
Section 360 = 05, 01 (1st # is cell, 2nd # is landline)
Section 361 = 1,2,,,
Section 380 = 1,,,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-15, 02:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
The format (location 360) needs to be 05 in both slots. "Pager" is the only format that _won't_ keep dialing over and over.

When you enter the phone number, just enter it the same way you would for a normal local call. Press # after the last digit, and it will fill in the hex F to fill in the unused digits.

Otherwise, this sounds like you phone system is what's not connecting.

Are you on a regular landline, or are you using a internet derived phone line (VOIP)?

Old 11-30-15, 07:17 AM
Initially I had Section 360 = 05, 01 when it did call my cell phone and landline. I had tried it as 05,05 for most of my testing afterwards but just yesterday changed it back to 05, 01 thinking maybe 05 (on 2nd) wouldn't work for the landline. I have tried again with 360 as 05,05 and entering the phone numbers as would be normally dialed, as you suggested (which was how they were entered initially when it worked the one time)... still doesn't work. I agree, it sounds as though the phone is not connecting. The system is definitely dialing though. And yes I do have internet phone through Time Warner. I did question that but since it worked once I discounted that as an issue but maybe working once was just a fluke!?!?! Thank you for your response.

Old 11-30-15, 10:05 AM
O.K..... Your last reply got me to thinking about how I had it wired and though I had not changed any thing since I first hooked it up, I decided to rewire the line going to the phone into the PC5936 interface instead of the PC5010. That got it! So it must have been a fluke the first time it worked. Iv'e repeated the test and it is consistent. Interestingly enough tho, the first time it worked a few days ago, it rang my cell phone and the landline. It wont ring the landline now. I do have section 361 = 1,2,. Before, it also rang for the alarm and restoral. Now it just rings the cell phone for the alarm only. I don't really need it to ring the landline but I do want it to ring for the restoral to my cell phone. (At least I think it rang separately for the restoral but maybe I actually triggered the motion sensor a 2nd time - now I'm not sure). Should it ring for each - alarm and restoral? My real issue tho is when it rings my cell phone for the alarm, it calls 2 times giving me 1 very quick ring each time and hangs up! It almost doesn't even seem like a full ring. Is there anyway to get it to ring till I answer it? I also tried changing Section 160 from 008 to to 001 (for 1 call attempt) to see if it would make a difference but it did not.
Again thank you for your time.

Last edited by razzthealbino; 11-30-15 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How your incoming call is acting with the mobile phone is more likely an artifact of your phone service.

It activates the dialer for each thing that has a report code programmed. However, it two actions are very close together, it may still be dialing when your restore happens.

Pager format is a little odd. As soon as anything that could be defined as a pickup happens, it's done. All you get is caller ID.

As you may have discovered, IP phone lines don't play well with a lot of this older hardware.

Old 11-30-15, 03:26 PM
Well I did by chance tried inputting 06 (residential dial) in section 360 which worked. My manual does not show that as an option but it rings enough times now to get my attention. It still calls 2 times for one alarm trigger which is btw what is set in section 160 - forgot I had changed that. Now that I've got it calling... I guess I didn't know what to expect it would do from there. When I answer it, I hear nothing - just dead air. With all I have read no one seems to mention much more on this. I'm guessing that's just it.... it calls the phone and reports nothing else? Is there anything else I can do to interact with the system when it calls my cell phone?

Last edited by razzthealbino; 11-30-15 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 02:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nope, you are dealing with hardware designed in the pre-mobile phone era...

Old 12-01-15, 03:46 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Paging system terminals are designed to be used by humans, not alarm panels. In general, an alarm panel with a "paging format" expects a call to be answered within a couple of rings and then dumps its information. A telephone ring cycle is about 6 seconds (ring and silence before the next ring), so there would be about 12-15 seconds between the time the panel finishes dialing and when it transmits the alarm. The delays routing a call from one carrier to a cell carrier, and digital encoding/decoding are cumulative and take a bite out of an already short time frame.

The “paging format” is an add-on that has to operate blindly with a broad array of paging terminals. It is, with no offense to any manufacturer, a programming kludge; they fulfilled customer requests the best way they could. So, I seriously doubt there is anything that can be done.

Old 12-02-15, 07:59 AM
Residential Dial for DSC PC 1616 question for MrRonFL

Hello MrRonFL,

I have a DSC PC 1616 and found an old thread from 2009 that you provided the following instructions to a person for programming "residential dial". These instructions worked perfectly for me however I have a blocked landline. So when the system calls my mobile it displays "no caller id". Please advise how to unblock the landline number in the coding sequence below. thanks! kacpc

*8 [installer code]
301 xxxxxxxxxx*5* # (x being digits for the phone number)
310 1234 # (it's just a fake account number, pick any four digits you like)
350 06 03
# until you are out of programming.

If the system has been monitored before, that should do the trick. These settings set the panel to use the "Residential Dial" feature.

The panel will call, you will hear a tone, then you press pretty much any key on the phone to acknowledge, and you will hear an alarm tone.

Old 12-02-15, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your Telco provider should have a code that you can enter to disable the ID block feature on a per-call basis. You would enter that code, with a pause, ahead of the phone number you program in location 301.

Old 12-02-15, 08:10 PM
Thanks it is *82. So the sequence is 301 *82xxxxxxxxxx*5* # ???

Also, I read there is a way to eliminate the 30 second delay before dial. Please provide instructions for doing that. thanks!

Old 12-03-15, 02:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The dialer delay is located in segment 4 of programming location 377.

For that phone number modification to add the *82 with a pause you would actually enter *2*82*5*xxxxxxxxxx#

You do have the installer manual? http://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=17007