Ademco Vista 10a + 5881 + 5800tm Woes

Old 12-03-15, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ademco Vista 10a + 5881 + 5800tm Woes

Hi,

I have an Ademco Vista 10a + 5881 + 5800tm with a 6139 keypad. The unit has a mix of wired and wireless sensors which has been working well of the last 10 years... until a few days ago. We have a couple 5890PIR's, a 5816 Window/Door sensor and a 5804bdc remote control. I went to change a couple of security codes on the system and also enable the Quick Alarm feature (*21). Somehow I managed to muck things up and I changed the RF System (*22) to 1. I didn't realise I actually changed it from anything to anything, but I must have. In the middle of the night the keypad was complaining with a Check Zone 9 and all of the other wireless sensor zones also appeared. I cleared the alarm and went back to bed. The next day I checked the manual and then realised I must have changed *22 to 1. I changed it to 2 for the 5800 series thinking that will fix my problem. Sadly it hasn't. 12 hours later the keypad was complaining again with the same error. I decided to reboot the alarm system by removing the mains power and backup battery and left the unit off for 15 minutes. I powered it all up, but my PIR's aren't working when I put the system in test mode.

I don't know if the House ID is used by the 5890 PIR's or 5816, but the RF House ID (*24) is set to 00. This might explain why my 5804BDV Remote isn't working, however that's the least of my issues at the moment.

Can anybody suggest what I might need to do to resolve the issue?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-15, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
The house ID only applies to bi-directional devices, like your remote.

Changing the RF mode setting back to 2 re-enabled your wireless receiver. If all of the other contacts are working, just remember that wireless motions have a lockout timer built in to prevent depleting the battery. They won't trip unless there has been no motion for a couple of minutes.

If you open the battery cover, and get a check trouble for that zone, then the motion is active an working.

Alternately, you can bypass all of the zones except the entry exit and the motions, arm the system, trip the entry exit zone, then sit tight for a few. If you move in front of the motions, you should get instant alarms.

Old 12-03-15, 03:08 PM
Thanks MrRonFL.

Thanks for confirming the House ID is only for bi-directional communications.

Since I am getting a Check Zone 09 message, does that point to an issue with my 5881 Wireless module? Or if nothing is able to check-in to the wireless module will that message appear also?

I'm really stumped at why all my wireless devices have stopped working, as it all happened after I accidentally changed the RF Mode. Do you know if the RF receiver has been unavailable for a period of time, say two days, that the devices then need to be re-registered or anything?

Thanks.

Old 12-03-15, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If none of the wireless devices are working, and you are getting the check 9, then I am led to think that your receiver isn't working. The transmitter programming lives in the panel programming. The receiver is just an interface.

Double check your *22 settings, Check your connections to the receiver, and try a power cycle on the whole shooting match. If that doesn't bring your devices back, the only thing left is a failed receiver.

Verify your system model, as well. You posted Vista 10A; it should be a Vista 10, Vista 10SE, or a Vista 10P

Old 12-05-15, 06:07 AM
Thanks MrRonFL for the advice. I managed to resolve the issue today. I had noticed when I powered down the alarm from AC and DC then powered it up there was a message stating Low Battery. Not sure if this is normal if you connect the DC after connecting AC? Anyway, the battery was around 6-7 years old, so I think it was due to be replaced in any case. I replaced the battery today, however I don't think that fixed anything. I did some testing and the RF PIR's weren't coming up on the key panel when I was in test mode. However I watched the red light on the RF Module (5881) light up every time it received a signal, so I was back to thinking it is a software configuration error. I decided to delete the sensors and re-ad them and that fixed it. I think the model is the 10SE. Anyway, all working now, and I have learnt a lot more about my alarm system than I ever thought I would. Thanks.

Old 12-05-15, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's very unusual for something like that to drop transmitters simply by disabling and re-enabling the wireless, like that; but yours is old enough that it might have been some random silicon glitch... Glad it's all working.

Old 12-05-15, 07:42 AM
Thank you.... Yes, the alarm unit must be at least 15 years old But still working... just