Resurrecting a Honeywell Vista 20P alarm

Old 12-05-15, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resurrecting a Honeywell Vista 20P alarm

I'd like to use the alarm system for its smoke detectors and to give audible alarm locally for intrusions. I do not want remote monitoring now (but might in the future).

Long story short, the alarm has been powered down for a while. It used to have remote monitoring via a telephone line, but that line no longer exists).

When I power up I have a comm error on the keypad. The keypad otherwise looks healthy but won't respond after 5 key presses. I tried "rebooting" and #* to see if I could enter programming (with the intention of researching how to switch comms off) but no luck. I attempted to wire the system up to VOIP comcast, but no luck (modem does not like it. I remember the pros having problems with that on set up, hence the former telephone line).

any advice.....or is this a job for the pro's?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-15, 07:58 PM
Should not be too difficult but, more/better info is needed about what you have done and how the system is responding.

Read other posts about the lack of response on keypad after 6-8 key presses.

Old 12-05-15, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Was the system working the way you wanted it to before you powered it down ?

The forum pro, Mr Ron, has a good sticky on programming and programming help for most systems. It will probably help to get you started here. Many good stickies at the top of the forum.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...e-posting.html

Old 12-07-15, 10:21 AM
Thx PJMax, I read the FAQ and I'm no further forward. The alarm system did work as it was supposed to do after install - I was out of country for a year and so the alarm was set for fire and intrusion alert. The installer could not get it to work with VOIP and I had a landline installed. When I got back in country I questioned why we were paying the monitoring service/landline and cancelled them both. The system continued powered up with a comm error. After a while the keypad started to give various errors probably due to batteries needing replaced on the wireless components. I since replaced batteries on all of these. faced with constant beeps and complaining spouse, I pulled the transformer. I then realized that I had deactivated the smoke detectors and that was a bad idea (I do have others).

Last edited by DeeKay; 12-07-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-07-15, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
The keypad not responding after 5 key presses is usually due to bad connection with the two keypad data wires (which would also keep the * + # trick from working).

Try wiring your keypad directly to the motherboard with a length of known good wire (be sure to power down when you are making/breaking keypad connections, because it can damage the system board to do it "hot").

Remember the * + # trick requires removing both AC & Battery power. You press * +# within 50 seconds of restoring AC power. That should jump you into programming

Old 12-07-15, 11:00 AM
Thx Tpring. I had a browse but nothing relevant. The only things that I have changed are - disconnecting the landline (therefore tripping a comm failure), and replacing batteries in all the wireless components. On rebooting I get a standby message (no response to *#), then comm error. I have not (knowingly) dabbled with the programming. "ready" light is green but keys stop responding before I can arm the alarm.

Old 12-07-15, 11:11 AM
Thx MrRon. I'll give that a go tonight and let you know how that goes.
Good point on needing both battery and AC. I did not know that (although I think I always had both connected). Do they need to be reconnected in any particular order?
...and I need to move my keypad to get it close to the alarm cabinet. Will it work without the wall mounting plate?
....and it dawned on me, I haven't given full information. I disconnected the siren (terminal 3?). not sure if that would affect anything.

Old 12-07-15, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Yes it will work without the backplate.

You connect AC power, first.

Old 12-07-15, 05:42 PM
Genius! Thx Mr Ron. Got the installer code. Will do the research now to work out how to tailor the system (comms off, key fob control) Still need to track down the wiring problem at the original location but am now v optimistic!