What is this part?

Old 12-05-15, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is this part?

I am in the process of re-wiring an old moose system to a new panel. I'm new to this stuff, but the process seems to be going fine. That said, right next to my panel there is a wall outlet, and right above the wall outlet there is this thing mounted to the wall and I have no idea what it is. It seems to have some sort of metal layering which is a bit warm to the touch, but my electrical tester doesn't seem to think it's hot (at least not on the front side... who knows if it is powered on the other side).

As for the wiring on the front, I believe it was going to my moose panel, but I neglected to see which port before I disconnected everything.

Anyways, what is this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-15, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It is most likely your door bell transformer. I don't know what a moose box is, but I don't get out of the South too much.

Old 12-05-15, 03:09 PM
LOL - Thanks. The moose refers to a moose z1100. It's about 21 years old. We actually have 2 doorbells in our house (long house on a corner - each side has an entrance.) I see what looks like 1 bell on each side of our house, but I'm guessing they could share the same transformer?

Old 12-05-15, 03:29 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
It quite likely is the AC power supply for the alarm panel. Measure for about 14-16 volts AC on the exposed screw terminals and also look inside the panel enclosure for a similar cable with the blue-white/white-blue pair. They connect to terminals 1 and 2 of the alarm and there is no polarity.

Old 12-05-15, 03:39 PM
I should have mentioned - the alarm panel was being powered by an AC adapter that was plugged into the outlet just below the part in the picture.

Old 12-05-15, 07:51 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Then doorbell transformer is the more likely. The cable is standard category 3 or possibly category 5 telephone/data cable. What makes it less likely to being telephone related is that the blue-white/white-blue pair is the standard for the first line of telephone operation.

Old 12-06-15, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the responses!