Brand new 5800pir-res motion not alarming

Old 12-06-15, 09:41 AM
Brand new 5800pir-res motion not alarming

Hi, I have a Vista 20P system which I set up about a year ago. The entire system is wireless except for the panel and a keypad. Everything has been working fine.

I've had some motion detectors and glass breaks that I never installed. Today I am trying to install the motion detector - but it never triggers the alarm.

Zn=29, Zn type = 4, Part = 1, RC = 10, Input type = 3, Loop = 2

I even tried Night stay - which I read on another thread.

I believe all the other devices are loop 2, but when I open the motion detector it says : LOOP 1, pulse count 2, 80 lb animal immunity. (I weigh well over 80 lbs :-)).

I don't see where I can do anything with a 'pulse count'.

The device does blink red when I remove/install the battery.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-15, 10:18 AM
Programming looks fine, 5800PIRs go to sleep for about 2 minutes after seeing motion, make sure system is not armed in stay mode, night-stay must be programmed separately to work [*81, list 5; then set up button in *57]. FYI - loop 2 is not 'pet-immune'. Red light after battery removal is test period [10 mins] -- to test coverage area.

edit: do not trust the 80lb limit. Probably not more than 50lbs, esp if pointed at an elevated area [e.g. stairs]. Make sure you are not in 'countdown' mode when tripping -- will not set off alarm.

Last edited by tpring; 12-06-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-06-15, 10:30 AM
Since posting I re-read the installation pdf for the sensor. I had manually entered the serial number before. So I created a new zone and enrolled the sensor by triggering it. The keypad found the serial number.

Next I entered night stay mode and triggered the sensor. The sensor lit up but the keypad shows no fault. btw - I have no siren connected at the moment - figured I'd hear the keypad alarm.

Old 12-06-15, 10:45 AM
Still haven't seen this sensor trigger an alarm.
Should I be able to test this sensor in 'chime' mode ?

Old 12-06-15, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you waiting long enough for the exit delay to time out (it runs in _all_ arming modes)?

Are you arming in away mode, and opening and closing an entry/exit zone so that the interior zones?

Is the transmitter programmed as a zone type that can chime (zone type 4 can't)?

Remember, wireless motions have an activity lockout timer to keep them from killing the battery.

Old 12-06-15, 02:08 PM
Thanks MrRon.

>>Are you waiting long enough for the exit delay to time out (it runs in _all_ arming modes)?

Yes

>>Are you arming in away mode, and opening and closing an entry/exit zone so that the interior zones?

On the keypad I enter 4112 Away. The display says something like - System Armed - Away/ You may exit. When the beeping stops it says System armed - Stay.

>>Is the transmitter programmed as a zone type that can chime (zone type 4 can't)?

I switched from zone 4 to zone 10. It still doesn't chime - but at the keypad I briefly see a fault and the green light blinks. I switched the motion to ZT=3 and now it chimes and faults. Guess I'll go with that. I'd like to put a motion detector 'outside' the house.

When it was set to zone type=4 and I pulled the battery it never gave me a check - I'll have to try it as ZT=3.

It's kind of interesting - if I'm sitting in my recliner, perhaps 15 ft from the sensor, and wave my arms in the air it does not fault. I have to stand up and walk before it faults.

Old 12-06-15, 06:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
>>Are you arming in away mode, and opening and closing an entry/exit zone so that the interior zones?

On the keypad I enter 4112 Away. The display says something like - System Armed - Away/ You may exit. When the beeping stops it says System armed - Stay.
There's your problem, you aren't tripping an entry/exit zone. You have to do that so the system doesn't switch to Stay mode and bypass interior zones (like your motion).

Old 12-07-15, 04:49 AM
Good morning MrRon.

I hope I am mis-understanding what you are saying. Here is why...

It is just the 2 of us in this house (and 4 cats). It is effectively a long flat 1 story house. The bedrooms are off to one side. Ideally I would like 2 motion detectors inside the house - which I want to arm when we go to sleep. The first would be in the corner of the dining room. That is the farthest end of the house away from the bedrooms. The other would go in the hallway leading to the bedrooms - pointing out. The keypad is near the front door which would be picked up possibly by both motions - so the motions should act like perimeter/with delay.

Are you saying that someone would have to trip an entry door for the motions to work ?

At this moment I have one motion setup as zt-3 just sitting on a shelf in the dining room and the system in 'chime' mode. The motion is chiming just fine (without opening an entry) - but I have yet to see it cause the keypad to fault in any other mode. I'll have to play with that some more today.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-07-15, 07:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, that's not really how it works...

If you want the motions active while the house is occupied, you have three choices: Program them as a non-interior zone type; or add the motions to the night stay list so they are excluded from auto bypass, and arm in that mode; or turn off the auto-stay feature in programming location *84.

Old 12-07-15, 08:08 AM
Thank you.

zt=1 (Entry/exit #1) and zt=2 (Entry/exit #2) - do they have the same attributes ? Are there two of them just for identification purposes ?

Old 12-07-15, 08:45 AM
There are two different entry delay times so that you can have some zones with a shorter entry delay than others in case a Back Door is father away than a Front Door.

Old 12-07-15, 08:47 AM
Thanks - do you happen to know what the delay times are ? I don't see them mentioned in my Programming Guide.

Edit : Found it page 36. You set the delay using *35 / *36.

>> "If you want the motions active while the house is occupied, you have three choices: Program them as a non-interior zone type; or add the motions to the night stay list so they are excluded from auto bypass, and arm in that mode; or turn off the auto-stay feature in programming location *84."

So - since we are really talking zone types, I suppose the same is true for a glass break ? But a 5802 panic button would be set for zone type 77. Does that *always* trigger an alarm ?

Last edited by lhpdiver; 12-07-15 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-07-15, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, zone type behavior is independent of the _device_ type. There are zone types that are _specific_ for wireless keyfob/panic buttons, but those are the exception to the rule.

For something like a glassbreak, just program it as a perimeter (instant) zone.