ADT sensor swap - 5820 for 5816 using 6150 keypad??

Old 12-11-15, 01:18 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ADT sensor swap - 5820 for 5816 using 6150 keypad??

I have an ADT Pulse system with a Safewatch 3000 and the 6150 keypad (2 of them).

I am doing some remodeling and it would be cost effective for me to swap the giant 5816 sensors for the slimline 5820s. I am pretty handy (have rewired outlets, etc), computer-savvy (have some basic programming background), and can follow instructions , so I am pretty sure that it would be well within my capabilities to make the swap... but I am having trouble understanding whether or not it's even possible with a 6150 keypad?

I don't want to reprogram any zones or add any new sensors, just a simple swap for the 5816 with the 5820 to make some more space in my windows (shutter installation). Is it possible? And if not, is there any cost benefit to having ADT come swap out my keypad and then doing the sensor swap myself??

Any thoughts much appreciated - trying to avoid the DIY blunder of spending a bunch of useless money on a project you can't ever actually complete!!

Old 12-11-15, 01:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Yes, it's possible, but not with that keypad; and it does require access to programming (you need a 6160 keypad or equivalent to get access to the zone programming menu that would allow you to delete the 5816 transmitter and replace it with the 5820)

Old 12-11-15, 02:37 PM
S
So...not possible with my current setup. But swapping my keypad to a 6160 is also doable myself, from my cursory research?

Old 12-11-15, 06:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup, the keypad's an easy swap. Just remember to power the system down before making/breaking connections.

Old 02-13-16, 10:34 AM
S
Alright, getting ready to make the keypad swap and then start swapping the sensors.

After watching some YouTube videos and verifying the 6150's address, the keypad swap looks super-easy...

For the sensors, it sounds like I will need to totally start from scratch in programming the new ones? There are 26 zones in my current setup (each downstairs Windows and door, plus fire and CO, appears to have its own zone), so I presume each one gets programmed individually? I thought I saw a step-by-step instruction process on here somewhere but now I can't find it...can anyone point me to it? Also, is there any information I should get from the old system (aside from its address) before starting this process???

Thanks!

Old 02-13-16, 10:47 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you have an alpha keypad, I would recommend putting in alpha descriptors [*82] for easier identification during normal use. You can even create unique names if the default words aren't descriptive enough.

The 5816's are probably using loop 2 but, 5820's will use loop 1 -- The easier way is to 'learn' them in.

With that many sensors, you might find it easier to layout all the sensors [next to the keypad] and program them in before installation.

FWIW: A more aesthetically pleasing way [using 5816's] is to use loop 1 and an imbedded sensor.

Old 02-13-16, 03:05 PM
S
Alright. 6160 successfully installed, and the 5816 sensor I had pissed off at some point has been successfully replaced and programmed with a 5820, shows up as its reprogrammed alphanumeric name on my Pulse sensor list and everything.

However, I am now having a weird thing with the second 5820 I installed. At first, everything seemed perfectly fine - installed, shows up on Pulse, chimes when opened, everything.

I bypassed the zone for the second 5820 install (so it wouldn't yell while I took off the 5816, or messed with the new 5820), then put the new 5820 in place, programmed, set the alarm, turned off the alarm, and verified that all was working.

But now, for reasons I cannot for the life of me figure out, the second 5820 is no longer chiming (or showing up on Pulse) when it is opened. The first 5820 is, and the old 5816s are. And when I mess with the transmitter itself (opening it), the system is all kinds of angry and registers the problem with the correct zone, so obviously the transmitter is correctly tied in. And it was previously registering correctly (showing up on pulse as open/closed with the new zone name).

Now, the "check zone" signal is on for that window (the second 5820), and I cannot get it off, despite the cover being back in place, the window securely closed, entering the master code and off a billion times...am I missing something super obvious here??? How do I get the "check" message off, and what is keeping the system from registering the window as open???

ETA: got the check zone message off, and it even registered that I had cleared that zone, but then still won't register it as open or closed - even tried setting the alarm and opening it and...nothing (but the first 5820 I installed set off allllll kinds of alarms - I have my system on test )

Also...it is set up exactly the same as the first 5820 - entry/exit zone type, perimeter, etc - if I somehow changed the zone settings to make this happen I have no idea what it was. I even went back and learned it in again to double check. No go.

Last edited by susirene; 02-13-16 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-13-16, 07:42 PM
S
Double posting so it's obvious to anyone who might be having the same problem:

I fixed it by simply swapping out the magnet part of the sensor (for the one included with the 5820 transmitter).

I have absolutely no idea why that was the problem, since it seems like a simple magnet shouldn't matter, but...that was the problem. New magnet, functions perfectly.

Old 02-14-16, 06:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
On some of the newer contacts, the magnets are polarized. Otherwise, you may have been off of the magnet "sweet spot" by just enough to not close the contact switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: