Adding Wireless to Vista 4120XM

Old 12-26-15, 05:45 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Wireless to Vista 4120XM

Hello everyone. New member here but I've been lurking for a while. Thanks for everything you all do.

So I bought a home with a Vista 4120XM panel that is maxed out. I was wanting to add several more sensors now but will eventually upgrade to an entirely new system. Based on the research I've done I added a 6160RF keypad in order to get the functionality of up to eight additional zones via wireless. So I have the new keypad working and seems to be programmed correctly. My issue is in adding the wireless sensors. I also purchased a Honeywell 5800PIR-RES Motion Detector and a Honeywell 5853 Wireless Glass Break Detector. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to enroll these two devices. I going back to research the net for an explanation I'm concerned that while compatible with the 6160RF, these devices may not be compatible with the 4120XM; however, I have not conceded that yet. My hope is that someone here who has some experience with these systems may be able to point me in the right direction as the 5700 series have apparently been discontinued. I remember reading somewhere that the chips on the 4120XM are upgradable but I can't seem to locate that information now that I may need it.

Any information or feedback you may have would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-15, 09:28 AM
C
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
Unfortunately, the 4120XM panel supports only 5700 series wireless. If there's an upgrade chip for the 4120XM, I haven't heard of it. It's at least 20 years old and I don't know if the motherboard would support features in an upgrade chip. They weren't (to my knowledge) doing that back in the 90's.

The good news is that if all you want is a few more wireless zones, you can buy a Vista-20P panel on eBay for probably less than you paid for your 6160RF KP. That will give you capability to add up to 40 wireless zones.

These panels rarely fail, and there are a lot of perfectly good used ones on eBay from customers who upgraded their panel for new bells and whistles--using their alarm system to turn their thermostat down from their smart phone across the country.