What can/should I do with this system?

Old 01-08-16, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What can/should I do with this system?

Hello all found this forum today and it looks pretty active and has lots of info. I'll start by saying I'm a complete newbie on alarm systems. I am a technology geek to say the least and I'm interested in home automation and so forth but I know nothing about alarm systems. We just bought a new place and it has an alarm system installed, wired. The prior owner had it monitored by Guardian I think but of course that service is off now. It's a DSC system, I believe a PK5500 panel but I haven't investigated too far yet. Been doing a major renovation since we got the place a few months ago. I read over the FAQ's and that gave me some ideas to check on but I have some basic questions before I go too far.

First is what good is the system to me? I don't think we are going to add a land line to this house. We barely used it in the last place so this seems like the time to cut the cord on that expense. Of course the system could be upgraded to cellular I know. More cost for hardware and more for monitoring. So i'f I don't get a service is this more or less a wall decoration? I assume that I could arm it at night and if someone breaks in I get a siren. Also the smoke alarms are tied in I believe. Can this type system be utilized to contact me via text or call? Can I make it web compatible? I have been interested in a lot of the new self monitoring systems out now. Can I morph this into one?

Generally I would like to know what sorts of clever things I might be able to do or if I should be looking a complete different direction. I'm only slightly interested in paying $30,40-50 a month for a monitoring service but I won't rule out a service completely. Any comment, thoughts or ideas would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-16, 01:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
What you can and can't do is largely dependent on the system model and capabilities. PK5500 is a keypad model that is used on as many as 6 different DSC panels. The actual system model is going to be from the diagram on the door of the metal box with the battery.