Planning new alarm system

Old 01-11-16, 07:14 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Planning new alarm system

After analyzing the features we (wife and I) want, have decided not to spend any further time or money fixing the 1994 Ademco Via 30+ system and just go with new components. That old system seems to mostly work, so far (but not so we could leave it armed), and figuring it out (with lots of help here) was a good learning experience, but it seems it doesn't support features we want and many of the sensors and keypad are pretty beat, broken, painted shut, etc. This house was a neglected foreclosure and we are doing fairly extensive improvements. We do almost all our own work--not "fancy" or upscale, but to a good, new, clean standard.

Will not be getting landline telephone service at this location. Want to use GSM for possible CSM option, and IP Interface Module for fee-free self-monitoring, remote access and control.

New to alarm system design, install and programming, so would like to continue my learning on more modern equipment, a mostly fresh install.

Wiring is already installed for power, keypad, one glass sensor (three others were wireless), one smoke, and connection to existing horn mounted in attic by gable vent. Will be OK with one keypad for now.

Would appreciate any suggestions or advice regarding if this possible-order-list of components is a good choice, or what might be better, and why:

Control Panel in cabinet w/ battery, Honeywell VISTA 20P, latest version

Keypad, wired, Honeywell 6162

Wireless Receiver, Honeywell 5881ENH

Door/Window Sensors, wireless Honeywell 5816 (or may go with the "hidden" versions?)

Glass Break Detectors, wireless, Honeywell 5853

PIR Motion Sensors, wireless, Honeywell 5800PIR

Photoelectric Smoke/Heat Detector, wireless, Honeywell 5808W3

Digital Cellular Communicator, Honeywell GSMX4G

IP Security Interface Module, Eyez-On Envisalink EVL-4

Old 01-12-16, 02:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
The list is basically fine. The Honeywell GSM does require activation and configuration by an AlarmNet dealer (subscription service).

Old 01-12-16, 08:53 AM
U
Thanks for your advice, and for the specific term "AlarmNet dealer" which pointed me to useful info.

Regarding non-Honeywell brand GSM communications, I saw this text on a webpage for a package system:
"The GSM panel will autodial up to 6 numbers using a Landline, VOIP service and/or a GSM SIM card. If you choose to use a SIM card with this device, it can also send text alerts to up to 3 numbers."

Could a system like this, that can send alerts via GSM to non-CSM phone numbers, also be set up to simultaneously alert CSM via GSM?

Old 01-12-16, 09:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No. The kind of unit you are looking at is essentially an answering machine, in reverse...

Central stations expect a specific data format.

Old 01-14-16, 10:50 AM
U
Is the "ADEMCO protocol" fairly universal?

Shopping around, I found (to the best of my knowledge) that the PiSector GS-08 uses GSM to simultaneously support all three of the functions I wanted, and is not internet-based in any way:

1) Supports "ADEMCO protocol" via GSM for CSM

2) Will autodial up to six private phone numbers, in order, until one is answered, to report details of alarm event. If no answer after cycling through the call list three times, text message of the details of the event are texted to up to three numbers. This notification procedure may be configurable(?)

3) Supports remote system access and control via GSM

GS-08 also can use landline as primary, with GSM as secondary, but I don’t have landlines.

Of course, GSM requires a SIMM card and so there is, I have read, using a dedicated alarm SIMM card, about a 10 cent cost for each interaction, either way. But the system appears have many configuration options as to when the GSM calls out, or doesn't, to help control this expense.

In the process of restoring a house and living in another we have property without internet, but still want self-monitoring option and remote access and control. This GSM-based system may do that for us.

Any advice or observations?

Last edited by Unmuddler; 01-14-16 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Improve text.
Old 01-14-16, 12:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
"Ademco protocol" is Contact ID; which is one of the more common standards.

That unit looks to be a land line replacement with a few extra features.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: