Have Simon XT Wireless system and want to reduce my monthly costs.

Old 11-19-15, 10:30 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have Simon XT Wireless system and want to reduce my monthly costs.

I am setup with Alarm.com through Frontpoint Security, paying $42.99/month. I own the Simon system, and am pretty happy with it. I currently have only the control panel with 4 motion and 7 door/window sensors. I will definitely want to add light sensors, and maybe an additional keypad, garage door sensor, and water leak sensor.

What are my options if I want to reduce my monthly bill? Other providers? Is it possible to self-monitor with available software?

For the record, I have no problem with Frontpoint. They are very responsive with very good customer service.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Old 11-19-15, 04:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Do you have the installer code to access programming to make changes?

There are a number of vendors that can keep you with the alarm.com monitoring for far less money, that work with DIY.

Old 11-20-15, 12:07 AM
H
I don't have the code, but I can get it from Frontpoint. They gave it to me when I added sensors, but I didn't think to write it down.

May I ask which vendors you were referring to? Also is it possible to self-monitor using something other than alarm.com?

Will I need the 2-way talking touch screen to control the light sensors? Or will I be able to control it through the alarm.com app?

Old 11-20-15, 03:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can program the system to call your mobile phone, but the information you get that way is limited.

You can use ADC's dealer search list: https://www.alarm.com/get_started/finddealer_zip.aspx

Old 11-20-15, 09:14 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I will recommend you to avoid those big companies, you can get 2gig system for $18/month with no contract.
Since you have already an alarm system its easy to switch. you can very much keep everything except the keypads.

Old 11-20-15, 11:04 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I have mine setup to to call my cell phone, then my work number, then a relative's number. Alarm goes off, it calls you, and you press # to hear what the alarm is (e.g. "Front Door Alarm"). You can arm, disarm, turn lights on/off, etc over the phone. There is also a GSM module so you don't have to use your phone line. Plus it's more secure because cutting the phone line does nothing. The module is a couple hundred dollars though, but it will eventually pay for itself if you cancel your landline service (assuming you can add a SIM card to your wireless plan for less than your landline service).

Old 11-20-15, 11:13 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I take back what I said about the cellular module. You have to activate the module through Alarm.com, so you can't just put a SIM card in it from your own wireless carrier. Bummer.

Old 11-20-15, 01:02 PM
H
I was wondering about the cellular connection. I assume I have the GSM module because my system is setup to wirelessly contact my provider, or Alarm.com, which contacts my provider. So I would still need Alarm.com or some other company to activate my GSM module? You mentioned that you have it set up to call various numbers. Is that done through Alarm.com? Do they work directly with homeowners? I thought they only worked through dealers.

Old 11-20-15, 07:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Having the GSM communicator limits your options, those _have_ to work through some form of central station dealer.

Old 01-26-16, 08:24 AM
D
There is a work around monitoring companies

Cellular modules only work with monitoring firms but you can use the included landline dialing function of the unit if your programming options are not limited and include the "Reporting" menu (some units do not have it).

Check on youtube how to wire the landline, it's easy but not plug and play.
https://youtu.be/vr9ZZTCCuY8

If you do not have a landline or for added security (burglar cutting the phone line outside your home) you can plug the Simon to a quad band GSM Fixed Wireless Terminal. These usually cost between $25 and $80 on ebay (like this one "2014 Latest Version Fixed Cellular Terminal GSM Gateway (2 Band Type) New!"). Then all you need is a prepaid SIM card for the FWT to work, T-Mobile for example costs about $40/year to maintain.

If your panel is triggered Simon will dial your number into the FWT, which will then call the number you programmed. However you can't control the panel remotely but if you want to control light and stuff remotely, better go with SmartThings or similar for that purpose only and keep the Simon for burglar detection IMO.

Old 01-27-16, 06:58 AM
T
I currently have a Simon XT wireless security system from ADP, I finally finished the 3 year contract and I am tired of paying 44 bux a month. Does anyone know if this system can be switched to a cheaper monitoring service? I called a local monitoring service here in Long Island, NY and they said they werent compatible with the system. Im hoping I can get the unlock code from ADP. If I can, can I used another monitoring service? It would be a shame to have to scrap the system, as I really like it. Thank you in advance

Old 01-27-16, 08:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, as long as you can get the installer/dealer code; you can have another service take over monitoring. I'm surprised that your local vendor can't do anything with it; since the Simon XT is a standard system. Perhaps they have a non-compete with the local ADT franchise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: