Dummy Proof Security

Old 02-20-16, 08:59 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dummy Proof Security

Have a rather large addition (70' long and 45' wide) and really want to install a good security system consisting solely of wireless Motion Detectors (dog friendly).

Want to install it myself...... and would expect to want 9 different detectors on the control system...

Ready to buy now.

Suggestions would be very welcome.....

Old 02-21-16, 01:05 AM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
So......apparently you're only going to arm it when you're away, not when anyone other than the dog(s) is home?

Sorry, I'm having trouble reconciling the term "really good security system" with one that you can't arm while you're at home. A system that will allow you leave your home with a door or window inadvertently left ajar is not what I consider either a "really good security system" or "Dummy proof". Part of the value of a security system is that when you go to arm it, it lets you know when some perimeter opening has been left open. Or even if you're not trying to arm it, you may notice you don't have your usual "Ready" light displayed.

As to the equipment:
Most techs have a personal brand that they favor so don't take this as gospel, but I like the Honeywell/Ademco Vista-20P control panel in general. If you're certain you won't need more than 9 wireless sensors, you could go with a Vista-10P (fewer zones). You will need at least a 5881 ENM RF (wireless) receiver and a 6160 keypad to program it.
Someone might suggest a 6160RF combo Keypad/Receiver, but if your addition is
70' long, in addition to the length of your existing home (however big it is to begin with), you may need to install the receiver near the center of the coverage and I don't know that your normal Entry/Exit door(s), where you would arm before leaving, are in good position(s) for that.

Honeywell 5894PI PIR wireless motion sensors are dog-friendly. The "PI" in the nomenclature stands for "Pet Immune", but in the real world, no motion sensor is _immune_ to pets. The "PI" motions are pet-friendly, as long as you follow all instructions on the info sheet that comes with the units, but don't be surprised if you get the occasional false alarm. Dog (or any pet) behavior can be erratic: you could go half a year with no problem and then one day a squirrel jumps on your window sill and your dog goes crazy while you're not there, and you'll never know for sure why you got ONE false alarm on that particular day and no other. Just letting you know.

I recommend you include at least your normal Entry/Exit door(s) in your system, so the PIR(s) (motion(s)) covering your E/E areas don't have to be set as time delay zones, i.e., if someone enters the house through any means _other_ than your E/E door(s), they trip the alarm as soon as the sensors see motion. With no doors in your system, they'd have to be set to start an entry delay when you (or anyone) walk (or climb) in and trip them. A Honeywell 5816 wireless door/window sensor or two might be a good idea, even if you, for whatever reason, don't want to protect your home's perimeter.

BTW--you didn't mention whether you want your system to be monitored by a monitoring company? I do recommend it for a really good system. Do you have a POTS phone line, or VOiP, or just use a cellular phone, or what?

Old 02-23-16, 04:55 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chosun one,,,,,thanks for the great advice........

Hoping that I can isolate certain zones for the detectors......ie, bedrooms not armed while the rest of the house is........wrong?

Just out of curiosity,,,,does Chosun One refer to Korea? Had many a great meal at the Chosun Hotel while living in Korea (7 years on business).

Old 02-24-16, 12:27 AM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
I won't say that not protecting your bedrooms is "wrong", but if you don't have perimeter protection--doors and windows--then an intruder can get into your home and root around before wandering into the PIR/motion-protected areas and trip the alarm. And I _have_ seen a lot of people--including myself--forget and leave a door or window unlocked or even ajar in good weather.

Alarm systems, by their nature, are all customized: There is no "standard" system that's a One-Size-Fits-All. But it's highly recommended that you protect your perimeter.

Yes, ChosunOne refers to Korea. Good catch, I think most people assume I've misspelled "chosen".
In the spirit of full disclosure, I've never been to Korea and I only speak a very little, although I can read and pronounce the writing (with a thick accent, I'm certain).
An extended stay in Korea is on my bucket list, hopefully in the home of one of my friends or their family.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: