Retrofit Brinks BHS3000

Old 02-21-16, 10:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retrofit Brinks BHS3000

I recently purchased a home with a Brinks BHS 3000 security system. I have no intention of subscribing with ADT or Brinks. So....I want to retrofit the system and re use as much as possible(door, fire alarm, etc). I would appreciate recommendations from the group if you have any. Everything is hardwired so I would love to reuse the existing wiring and sensors if possible rather than installing something that's wireless to the sensors. I have seen some recommendations so a HW Vista-20P but not sure if that makes sense. I am an engineer so there really won't be any issues with programming and hooking up networking if needed. I would like something I can monitor the house from my smartphone. I already have security cameras installed using the existing wireless network so cameras aren't that important to me. Would like door and motion and fire alarms.

I am up for paying for a service on a monthly basis on a nominal fee to call police, etc but I don't want to do anything >$10/month.

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-16, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Vista 20p with the addition of the envisalink add on module (EnvisaLink 4 – Control Your DSC & Honeywell Security System From Your Smart Phone | EyezOn) will probably be your best bet, in my opinion.

Old 02-21-16, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. Question: Current system has two control panels; one upstairs, one downstairs. Any issue with the Vista 20P handling two control panels?

Old 02-21-16, 08:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They will handle up to 8 standard keypads.

Old 02-26-16, 08:04 AM
Question on 20P Wiring

So I purchased a Vista 20P to replace the existing Brinks system. It all looks pretty much straightforward. A couple of questions:

1) This one concerns me: in the wiring diagram for the 20P it shows only one of the AC wires from the wall wart connected to the AC terminals of the 20P. The wall wart has two terminals. The written documentation calls out using both AC terminals to terminal 1 and 2. So I think someone at Honeywell/Ademco screwed up on their wiring diagram.
2) I have a 6160 and 6150RF panel to hook up. Are they all hooked up in parallel across GND/AUX/IN/OUT? So the Black/Red/Green/Yellow wires, two in each screw terminal on the panel in GND/AUX/IN/OUT. I assume GND and AUX are the GND/+DC voltage to the panels. And In/Out is some sort of serial communication protocol the panels have....
3) I have an existing 12V/7AH battery in the existing Brinks cabinet. Is it acceptable to reuse that batter backup?

Last edited by 235301; 02-26-16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-26-16, 08:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you may be misinterpreting the diagram. The transformer puts out 16.5VAC un-polarized voltage. You connect those two connections to terminals 1 & 2. The earth ground terminal (25) on the main board is something of a "dead letter", and no connection on it is required. Certain old-style phone systems, and some non-North America electrical systems require that ground reference, but not a typical residential installation.

All keypad buss devices connect in parallel to terminals 4. 5. 6, & 7

Reference page 16-5 of the installer manual: http://www.nationwidesecuritycorp.co...all-Manual.pdf