Removing old ADT/Ademco system -- smoke detector connections?

Old 02-28-16, 04:56 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Removing old ADT/Ademco system -- smoke detector connections?

When we bought our house in 2004, it had a circa-2002 Adt alarm system with an Ademco controller. The smoke detectors in the house all have both a four-wire power plug and a battery as well. I'm assuming the smoke detectors are wired to the ADT system for them to call if there's a lengthy alarm.

I need to replace the current ADT system as we're getting rid of our landline. Not sure what I'm going with yet, but if I go for a self-install system*, I'm wondering about the fire alarms. If they're currently connected to the ADT system and we remove that, will that harm the fire protection functionality in any way? Is there any way to integrate the current wired detectors with a newer mostly-wireless home automation system?

What I don't want to do is replace the alarm and somehow compromise our fire detection.

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated!

(*It's hard to decide from only info because ADT, AT&T, Lifeshield, Simplisafe, etc. all have tons of negative reviews in addition to folks who like them.)

Old 02-28-16, 06:48 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
First and foremost, if all your smoke detectors have a 4-wire plugs and batteries, they are probably line-voltage (120VAC) smoke _alarms_ and not connected to your home alarm system. If they chirp with a smoke battery is low, they aren't part of your ADT system. All smoke sensors that are part of the home alarm system are powered from the control, at 12VDC and don't have batteries.

Second, getting rid of your landline doesn't necessarily mean you have to get rid of your existing ADT system. If you want to use internet or cellular reporting to a monitoring station, you may need to upgrade your control panel, but it's possible you can still keep your existing keypads and other peripherals, which sometimes cost more than the control panel.

ADT doesn't make alarm equipment, they put their label on manufactures' equipment. Can you give us a model name/number off the control cabinet or from a diagram inside the control cabinet door?
If it's a Safewatch 2000, for instance, it's actually a Vista-20SE and any keypads, RF Receiver, wireless sensors, etc could definitely be used on an updated control panel for iP reporting--or for cellular reporting, no upgrade would even been needed.

Old 02-28-16, 07:15 PM
E
Awesome, thanks, ChosunOne. So that sounds confirms that the smoke alarms are a separate system. (And means we probably don't have fire monitoring, which seems likely given how often our smoke alarm used to go off near the kitchen till I replaced it with a high-end model. : ) However, I noticed our control panel does support fire alarm monitoring.

Model numbers on the sticker in the panel are LYNXR/LYNXR24/LYNXR-EN. Looks like it's a circa 2001 model from the manual: http://www.protectron.com/images/sto...lynxr24_en.pdf

Old 02-28-16, 10:30 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes, your panel is one of the Ademco Lynx series. (Ademco was bought by Honeywell sometime in the 2000's, I think, so many people now refer to it as a Honeywell Lynx.)

Are you looking for a way to continue being monitored now that you've given up your POTS line? If you are, your most practical way is to upgrade your Lynx panel to a contemporary revision that supports cellular and/or internet monitoring. This would allow you to keep all your door, window, and motion sensors, etc, just as they are. If you have more than two doors and a motion sensor, the sensors' cost usually add up to more than the Lynx panel.

I don't know if you were monitored by A*T before but IMHO, all the brands you mentioned overcharge for what they provide. You can get reliable monitoring from a reputable company for a lot less that what A*T charges.

But I'll wait for your answer before I go on and on.

EDIT: BTW, do all your smoke alarms sound when one of them trips? This could be relevant to the possibility of integrating them into your Lynx system.

Old 02-28-16, 10:53 PM
E
Thanks, ChosunOne, really useful info.

Yes, we're currently under A*T, but well past contract, so I can go anywhere. Definitely interested in any pointers/suggestions there!

I considered a self-monitored system, but I do like the benefits of having someone to contact police if I'm unavailable/out of reach.

Yes, if one smoke alarm goes off, the others do sound.

Old 02-29-16, 02:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 122 Posts
If you have a Lynx alarm system, then your smokes are single-station interconnected smoke alarms, and thus _not_ connected to the alarm system (and can't be). You would have to add wireless smokes to the system if you want integrated smokes.

The direct replacement that would give you GSM or IP monitoring would be something like the Lynx plus or a Lynx Touch.

Wireless Burglary - LYNX

Old 03-01-16, 10:12 AM
S
Encore makes a device called the FF345 that listens for the sound a smoke detector makes and then transmits a fire alarm signal to a wireless Honeywell system. Since your smokes are interconnected, you should just need one FF345 near any of your smokes and now if any go off, the FF345 will hear the one near it going off and send an alarm to your system.

Adding wireless Honeywell smokes like 5808W3s in key areas would be a better solution but the FF345 is a way to do it with just one detector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: