Moving:what to do with existing alarm equipment

Old 03-08-16, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving:what to do with existing alarm equipment

Hey all.

I just bought a house and we're moving soon due to a job change.

The current house has the system I installed: Vista21 IP wired and wireless zones. I have a GSM card that needs to be upgraded if want to continue with that monitoring path.

The new house has: L3000 (Lynx Plus) but was upgraded from a Brinks install. So what's in the cabinet is the old panel with nothing connected and a pair of wired to wireless adapters to get everything over to the Lynx. There is no comm expansion in the Lynx, it's POTS only.

So once I get all the codes changed the idea was to get on monitoring (POTS) just to have something then figure out the long term solution which leads me to why I'm here. I'm just looking for feedback/opinions.

So my choices (the way I see it) are:
1) Keep everything as is, sell the old house with the system in place and get IP or GSM monitoring on the Lynx
2) Move the 21 IP over to the new house, wire it in and get the new GSM card.

The new house has the Lynx just off the main entry hall and the panel box is about 8 feet away in a coat closet. I'd say swapping it out would be easy but the basement is finished and the guy that did the Lynx upgrade just cut anything he didn't like so I'm not expecting to find things like a reusable keypad connection wire so at least some fishing will be involved; not much.

The above is also assuming I use the same panel location since all the wired zones terminate there. Re-running all of them is not an option I'm keen on exploring but if there's a good reason for relocating the panel I'm all ears. I don't know if maybe using the current panel box as a junction and pulling an extension set of lines upstairs to say the master closet would be a better (or worse) idea.

So after typing all that it sounds like I want to ditch the Lynx in favor of the Vista system. I haven't counted wired zones yet but worst case I've got the zone doubling resistors (somewhere). If it's even worse than that I'm assuming I could re-use one of the wired to wireless zone boxes that's there. If I'm lucky, three holes in the sheetrock (panel, keypad and one in the basement ceiling) to fish the control wire around. Next hardest part is identifying all the wiring.

So thoughts? Anything stand out that seems off? Am I not considering something that might cause issues, more problems, etc...? Any options I might have open that I'm not thinking about? Anything would help me to know if I'm going in the right or wrong direction with this.

Thanks all!

Old 03-08-16, 09:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
If you are used to the Vista 21ip, the Lynx configuration will probably frustrate you. A fair bit of the flexibility and functionality that the Vista is capable of simply doesn't exist in the Lynx. For me, the hassle of the swap would be worth it.

Just remember to make the swap _before_ you start showing the old place. In general, something like a security system is considered a utility fixture, so you can't remove it unless you specifically exclude it in the sales contract.

Old 03-08-16, 10:03 AM
Thanks Ron.

Yeah pulling the panel out prior to show was what has me thinking about all this now.

I just ran into this post and am pretty sure I'll need a new panel on top of the 4G GSM. I gotta pull it out later this week to see if it's tagged but the box doesn't have the 4G label on it according to wifey.

Old 03-09-16, 10:02 AM
S
If your VISTA-21iP doesn't support the VISTA-GSM4G, you can just change the jumper on the panel to look for an external communicator (instead of the internal Ethernet communicator) and then add an iGSMV4G dual path communicator.

You'll get to the same end result (panel with IP and GSM communication options) without needing to replace the entire system and re-reprogram everything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: