Problem with Home phone and alarm

Old 03-17-16, 10:24 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with Home phone and alarm

When we moved to a new home, there was a DCS home security installed.
I never bothered with it since it wasn't causing any problems.
But until yesterday, the alarm started making beeping sound and found that my home phone line is dead. All wall plugs are dead.

There were 2 trouble codes from the alarm. 3 and 4 which are telephone line fault and failure to communicate. I guess 4 was triggered because of 3.

So I opened the square alarm box, removed battery, unplug the alarm. Alarm is dead but phone line is still dead.

Found RJ31 jack inside.
Connected the home phone to RJ31 jack directly, voila phone is live.

Now, the question is what do I need to do bring wall plugs to alive? Is it faulty RJ31 jack?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-16, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The phone line is routed thru the alarm system so that in the event of an alarm..... the phone line is seized from the telephones until the event is confirmed received by the monitoring company.

Usually when the alarm is powered down..... the line is returned to normal. If you have pulled
the 31X plug out.... the line may not return to normal. The following is a diagram of the wiring.

Name:  31x.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  19.9 KB

You can connect R to R1 and T to T1.

Old 03-17-16, 11:23 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If you have pulled the 31X plug out.... the line may not return to normal.
And THAT indicates a defective jack.

Old 03-17-16, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
It does and it doesn't. Some of the 31x jacks don't have the shorting bars in them.... they are true alarm jacks and the plug can't be left removed.

Old 03-17-16, 12:38 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Okay, Pete, I've never seen one without the shorting bars so I will have to take your word on that. How often are these used in residential alarm systems?

Old 03-17-16, 03:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
Sometimes the pins in the jack bend from being in the same position for a long period of time, and don't make contact with the shorting bars when the plug is removed. If you have dialtone at the jack, but still don't have it in the rest of the house, that's where I'd look.

Another possibility, is that there is a short in the house phone wiring (or a bad phone) that is taking the phone line "off hook", followed by the Telco automatically disconnecting the line (these days it only take a minute or so before that disconnect happens). That's another scenario where you have dialtone if you plug into the RJ-31x (because a regular phone plug doesn't complete the circuit to send the dialtone to the house lines).

Based on your description of the sequence of events, the second scenario fits better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: