DSC wireless motion sensor not working properly

Old 04-02-16, 09:42 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC wireless motion sensor not working properly

There are 3 wireless motion sensor at my dads place, and i noticed none of them were lighting up.
When i tried removing them, the red light came on so i thought it was a loose connection or something. and after putting it back, the sensors worked for a few, but then stopped working.

My dad said he had replaced the battery recently, and from what i read the (OEM) battery should last 9 years so i figure the replacement ones should at least last a few years.

Being that all 3 are having similar issues, it leads me to believe that the battery might be going out, but since they worked when i tried to take them out, kinda makes me wonder.

The panel doesn't report them as having low battery, so that's kinda weird.

After the battery replacement, do they need to be reprogrammed, or refreshed in the panel somewhere?

Old 04-02-16, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
When you first put a battery in a wireless motion detector it is in test mode. The light will operate for up to five minutes. The LED is not normally active to save on batteries. You can put most wireless motion sensors into test mode by placing a magnet near the bottom side of the case.

Here's the biggie..... wireless motions go to sleep right after being triggered (unless it's in test mode). Once triggered the motion will send a "motion sensed" command and then go to sleep from 5-10 minutes to save on battery strength.

Depending on the amount of triggering..... the battery will last from 4-5 years. Motion sensors and glass break detectors have a shorter battery life due to the constant transmitting in busy/noisy areas.

Old 04-02-16, 09:55 PM
A
hi PJMax, thanks for your reply.

so it could possibly be that all 3 sensors are in test mode after the battery replacement.

We tested the alarm in Away mode. We let it arm, then walked around in front of the sensor, waving our arms around, but nothing happened. We opened a door and the alarm activated.

How do i take it off test mode?

Old 04-02-16, 10:04 PM
A
okay maybe i didn't do the test properly.
After arming the system, i didn't trip the exit door so perhaps the alarm was set as stay mode rather than away mode.

I'll try it again soon.

I also read that after a motion sensor is tripped and to save battery, it shuts down for 3 minutes, so consecutive motions withing 3 minutes will not detect motion, kinda dumb but i can see how the battery lasts that long :-)

It looks like the default for the dsc models is also no LED during normal operation, it only lights up the LED on battery swaps..

Old 04-02-16, 10:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
So you need to stay clear of the motion detector for at least three minutes before testing it.

Some systems will switch to "stay" mode if a delayed door is not activated.

Old 04-03-16, 08:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 129 Votes on 120 Posts
Yes, the behavior you see from your motions is consistent with both the standard power saving mode that all wireless motions have (including the LED disable), and the system having the auto-bypass feature enabled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: