Vista 20P Triggering Siren/Alarm causes D1 Error/Reboot

Old 05-29-16, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 20P Triggering Siren/Alarm causes D1 Error/Reboot

Hey Guys got a weird issue here which I ASSUME will either be tied to the power source or the siren itself.

So the Alarm Arms fine.. The Keypad chimes and arms etc. But when I try to actually trigger the siren by opening or a door or tripping a PIR, I get the entry delay chimes then when the siren would trigger the keypad throws a D1 error and its as if it rebooted (#,* gets into installer mode etc).

The Siren directly to a battery works fine.

The power source is a non plug in transformer. Its a 16.5VAC and reads 17.2VAC no load.

Is there any way I can try to rule out something so I dont need to replace both?

I just moved into the house so im not sure if it ever worked. Thanks in advance folks!

EDIT: The Siren is an 8 ohm 30 Watt 6-12 Volt Dual Tone. Looks similar to this ELK one
http://www.amazon.com/Products-Siren.../dp/B0058M0R80

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-16, 11:06 PM
Have you checked for a short in your siren wiring?

What is your total power draw when system is in alarm?

Old 05-30-16, 08:12 AM
Remove the siren wire and put system in alarm to see if problem remains.

Old 05-30-16, 08:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
That's typically an indication of excess current draw through the siren output .

A siren like that draws about 1 Amp, but the initial "inrush" current can be substantially higher. It's also not unusual for the electronics in one of these sirens to start drawing higher current as they age.

The total load being drawn in alarm has to stay below 2 amps.

It can't hurt to check your system battery under alarm load. If it's more than 3-4 years old, it may be dropping just enough, under load, to force the system into overload shutdown. The battery is the cushion that supports the siren load.

Old 06-20-16, 02:06 PM
So just to update this, I apologize for the delay my wife is expecting any day now and its been hectic trying to find time to get this tested.

So even with nothing connected to the Siren Terminals this happens. It goes through its delay, it reboots, then the keypad starts chiming away. The process is the same weather or not the siren is connected and the siren never fires.

My battery fuse turned out to be blown so I replaced it, same thing. I replaced the Battery with a spare I had, same thing, and I replaced the Transformer with a plug-in, Same thing. Ive also replaced the siren with a new Elk. Siren never fires. Ive attached a clip of the reboot thing in case it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGlH...ature=youtu.be

Siren always works when connected straight to the battery

Old 06-20-16, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Based on the information supplied, it sounds like a failing motherboard. The last test you can try is powering down and connecting the keypad with a length of known good wire in place of the field wiring. If there's a wire to wire short in the keypad harness, you can get that effect. Also, it's very rare, but keypads have been known to fail in an internal short as well.

My bet's on the motherboard.

Old 06-21-16, 07:46 AM
Hey Ron thanks for all the info. Ill give it one last test and go from there. If i've got to replace the board I guess the world is my oyster at that point and I can put in something different since most of the accessories are transferable if I go to DSC or something.

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate you taking the time to answer all these questions

Old 06-21-16, 11:32 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
I'm curious about why you would go to DSC instead of just replacing the Vista-20P motherboard? I haven't worked on DSC panels on a day-to-day basis for over 10 years, but in my personal experience they have always had a higher failure rate on their equipment than Honeywell--or any of the other major brands, for that matter. Besides that, Honeywell/Ademco has the industry's best record for making new equipment back-and-cross compatible, and for continuing to support old equipment. E.g. the wireless devices marketed now are compatible with -all- the Vista panels since the mid-90's when the industry went to learn-mode type sensor/transmitters. The early Vista-10s supported both the old 5700 wireless from the early 90's, as well as the newer 5800 "learn-mode" wireless devices. So users were able to upgrade their control panels without having to replace their entire array of wireless devices. Also, any control panel made since the mid-90s is compatible with any keypad made since then, and the programming doesn't totally change with each new upgrade.

DSC can't make that claim. I never know if DSC's next wireless receiver and transmitter/sensors will be compatible with existing equipment. It's not as much of a problem now as it was 10-12 years ago when DSC suddenly changed from 900MHz to 433MHz, because you can find old equipment online now; but I'm disenchanted with a company that just suddenly leaves its customers in the lurch like that: In some cases, users who had just had systems installed less than a month discovered they couldn't get the part to replace or add -one- wireless zone, without "upgrading" their entire array of receiver and 30-40 odd wireless sensor/transmitters.

Okay, every tech has his own personal favorite panel, and I obviously lean toward Honeywell/Ademco. I've just named a couple of technical reasons I prefer my favorite, beyond a warm fuzzy affinity for Honeywell/Ademco. I assume other techs are welcome to chime in with _specific_ reasons they prefer DSC, or other personal favorite.

Old 06-21-16, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The _only_ "advantage" that DSC has, to me, is that once set up and operating, the end user interface is more user friendly for the average layman. Otherwise, my personal taste runs to Networx (I know... apostate...)

That said, the current generation of DSC is head and shoulders above the previous generation (which were a little too susceptible to voltage transient damage for someone working in the lightning capital of North America). I still don't consider them to be the best choice for commercial installs, but they are ok for residential.

Old 06-22-16, 08:01 AM
Couple reasons im leaning that way. To start off im absolutely not a tech.. Just a computer programmer who bought a house with this old ADT system and wanted to get it up and running. Downloaded a boat load of PDFs and went from there

So right now my experience with the honeywells is 0/1. In Toronto its MUCH easier to find the DSC gear than the honeywell. I dont have an Alpha keypad so needed an envisalink 3. That can be reused on the DSC. For the Price I can get the Vista 20P Board I can get a whole DSC Kit with a full keypad and wireless. The only advantage I have right now for the Honeywell is that I know how to semi program it. Definitely the selling point is how easy the gear is to come by. Even the secondary market in my locale has a lot of DSC stuff and no honeywell/ademco

Last edited by Mendes1166; 06-22-16 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-22-16, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
DSC was Canadian in origin, so that makes sense. As I said, for a residential system, it's actually much more user friendly. The configuration is no more complex than the Honeywell, just different.

Old 06-24-16, 01:44 PM
Just as the final update to this.. My DSC 1832 arrived today.. Was able to get it setup and running with the same siren in about 30 minutes with no issues down the line.. Guess the 20P was just a bad board.

Man having an alpha keypad and not needing to use the envisalink through putty really helps speed things up thats for sure