GE Simon XT Panel Keypad Button Issues

Old 06-17-16, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Simon XT Panel Keypad Button Issues

I have a GE Simon XT 1.2 and have noticed that sometimes the panel's keypad will act flakey. In most cases the keypad works and beeps at what I'd call it's normal button press volume. Sometimes the buttons appear to not register a press, do not cause the panel to light up, and have a muffeled or very quiet volume.

The most recent example was when I tried to disarm while it was in alarm. For example, I had a 5am test this morning when my wife forgot to disarm. I jumped up to disarm in the dark, the keypad didn't light, the beeps were either non-existant or very quiet. I had to fumble around to get the code in and shut off the alarm.

After the alarm was disarmed, I tried to press the buttons and reproduce the problem but they all seemed to work fine.

I do have an x10 transformer and an exterior siren connected.

I'm wondering if the panel's keypad is worn out and if I should use this as a reason to get a XT 1.4 or XTi.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-16, 07:13 AM
GE Simon XTi z-wave without Alarm.com

edit - not sure why this post was merged as they are 2 different questions...
---------------------------------

It appears that the z-wave capability of the XTi is exclusive to Alarm.com. Is there any way to use z-wave features with a different alarm company (e.g. nextalarm.com).

Alarm.com, like ADT, is 3x the cost of what I'm paying now.

Last edited by nickdiy; 06-17-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
For the keypad issue, skin oil and crud can get behind the key membrane and affect it's functionality. You can try cleaning the backs of the keys and the points they touch on the PC board with a q-tip and alcohol or contact cleaner (applied to the q-tip).

The z wave functionality is built into the cellular communicator. Pretty much any service that can use the communicator that you have, will usually be able to activate that function.

Old 06-24-16, 06:06 AM
Thanks. I didn't see anything obvious when inspecting the mainboard. Since it only happens when in an alarm state I wasn't sure if it's a physical contact issue as you describe or power supply issue with it having to source the sirens, relays, phone, and x10.

I'm interested in a wireless touch screen keypad which requires a newer firmware than my current system. I'll see if there's still a problem with the new unit.

Old 06-25-16, 05:23 PM
I thought it only happened when the unit was in active alarm but while I was transferring over to a new unit and navigating through the menus on the old one, it did it sporadically. I just think it was starting to fail.