Ademco 4180EC new battery or Upgrade to new panel/keypads?

Old 06-28-16, 07:26 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ademco 4180EC new battery or Upgrade to new panel/keypads?

Hello,
I recently purchased a new house which has an Ademco 4180EC alarm. Recently, we’ve had an issue with power outages (sometimes only 1 second) causing the keypad in our bedroom to start playing its trouble tone (waking us up and just being a pain considering it occurred 5 times last night). Is this something that can be fixed with new batteries in the panel? I can’t find an answer regarding the interaction between the batteries and if they will delay the trouble tone from playing if there is an AC outage.

From what I have read, I am unable to change the time delay for the trouble tone without a PROM programmer (who would want 1 second!?!), so if that’s the case do any of you have a recommendation on what I should upgrade the box/keypads? I saw a previous thread with a guy upgrading to a 20P, but it was quite dated (2010). I do not use monitoring and don’t plan on it if that changes things.

Thanks for any input!

Old 06-28-16, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A good battery on an alarm system is imperative. The alarm panel cannot be allowed to run with no power or a momentary power loss or it will glitch.

Old 06-28-16, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
A battery will probably help the immediate problem behavior; but you really should plan on replacing this system. At it's newest; this alarm control and keypad(s) are creeping up on 30 years old; and the laws of thermodynamics haven't been repealed.
http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Adem...n%20Manual.pdf

Old 06-28-16, 11:27 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Agree - I feel I am rather good regarding electronics, but opening that control panel is like looking into another world. I read through the manual and thought I was missing something that I couldn't just change some settings and instead needed to reprogram PROMs.

Do you have any experience on something that would be a good replacement? During our inspection period, I had an alarm company come out to hopefully help with this question, but they wanted to toss out the current system and move everything wireless (as well as put me on a monthly contract which isn't my ideal solution).

Old 06-28-16, 12:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You aren't likely to find one of the prom readers for this unit.

If the existing hardwiring is still in good shape, just go with any of the standard hardwired systems. A Vista 20p or one of the DSC Power series panels will work just fine. You might have to replace some individual door/window contacts, but those are relatively cheap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: