[DSC] How can I extend my siren...

Old 07-12-16, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
[DSC] How can I extend my siren...

Hello All,
My siren is located in my basement, and is difficult to hear on the second floor. I'd like to be able to come up with a wireless solution to extend the siren to the second floor. Something like a wireless siren would be great, but for my product, one doesn't exist (or I can't find it). So my question is, what mixture of equipment/sensors can I use to trigger a signal to send to a module/speaker so that it goes off when my siren is going off? My original thought was something that plugs into an outlet (speaker/receiver) and something that will send a signal to the sensor when the siren goes off that is connected to my board.

I can't seem to figure out what I need, or if there is an easier way to go about this.

I have a DSC pc1832 w/rfk5501 keypad.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-16, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
It would be a bit of a kludge, but you could put an inexpensive 12V power supply in or near the remote location, with a relay on the output to switch your siren. To control the relay, you use a standalone single channel receiver:

Linear Digital Receiver - DXR-701

You use a transmitter with a hardwire input that you trip using relay controlled by one of the PGM outputs on the DSC panel programmed to change states with the alarm activation:
Universal Window Transmitter For Homes - DXT-31

Any 12v relay will do the trick.

Old 07-14-16, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the solution. I figured it would be something like this. My other thought was to use a different technology like X10 or insteon, get an outlet with a receiver in it and a transmitter to the PGM outputs. Not sure if that would work exactly but I might just try your solution.

Strange DSC doesn't have a wireless alarm for the pc18xx series.

Old 07-14-16, 04:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
The problem is getting such devices to pass UL standards. Because the power series panels are marketed as commercial grade systems, it's not worthwhile to develop a compatible device that can't easily get the UL seal.

Old 07-14-16, 08:46 PM
You could always use a 30 watt siren or move the siren to the 1st floor(depending on what siren you have now)