Sensor not being recognized

Old 07-14-16, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sensor not being recognized

Hi there…

I have an Ademco Vista 20se system and I have it turned on to “chime” each time a door/window is opened.

Recently I noticed that it stopped “chiming” when one specific door is opened, but all others work fine. The green “ready” light is still lit as though it thinks all sensors are reading properly and all doors/windows are closed. I tried swapping out the reed switch on the problematic door, but that didn’t help at all.

It’s acting as though the sensor on this problematic door is just not being monitored by the system anymore since there’s no chime and the ready light stays lit even when this problematic door is open.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-16, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Hardwired zone or wireless?

If it's hardwired, it's an easy fix. The little magnetic reed switches can, and do fail in the closed position. You can try giving the contact a solid rap with the handle of a screwdriver. About half the time it will unstick. At that point, though, the contact is on borrowed time, and you will have to replace it in the near future.

It's just a dumb switch, there's no brains to these things.

If it's wireless the same thing can happen with the reed switch inside, but the replacement is a lot more involved, because you have to go into system programming (which requires the right kind of keypad).

Old 07-14-16, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. It's a hard wired reed switch however I've already tried swapping it out with a completely new reed switch and there was no change.

Is there something I need to do to reset the zone once the reed switch is replaced? I tried both a new "normally open" and "normally closed" switch just to make sure I was covering all bases but neither worked.

Old 07-14-16, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
If you disconnect the wires on the contact, and the zone _still_ doesn't show open, then you have a wiring problem. It's not uncommon for poorly installed wiring to get crushed by the building framing, or by someone working in the attic, and crunching the cable between a shoe and the joist. Sometimes squirrels get into attics and chew the insulation off the wires til they short.

The simple test for this, is to disconnect the contact and disconnect the zone wires from the motherboard. If you read them with a meter and see a short or very low resistance, then your wiring somewhere between the motherboard and the contact location is damaged.