Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electronic Home Security Systems, Alarms and Devices
Reload this Page >

Total Connect only logs events when I have a notification enabled for that event

Total Connect only logs events when I have a notification enabled for that event

Old 07-24-16, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Something weird is going on with my Total Connect event logging. Today I swapped out my old iGSMV communicator for an iGSMV4G communicator. The internet and cellular communication seem to be working fine, but I'm no longer seeing contact open/close events in the event log when I go to the Total Connect web site. But strangely enough, if I enable a notification on say, my front door opening, then those events do appear in the log. The way this used to work was that all events appeared in the log on the web site (and mobile app), but only the ones with an enabled notification would send me a text message or email. Now I can only get the event logged if I also enable a notification on the event. I do not want to enable notifications on everything (too many text messages), but I don't want to disable it either, because I do want text messages on alarms or doors left open, etc. Anyone ever experience a problem like this? I'll call the alarm company on Monday if I can't figure this out.

It's as though Total Connect is filtering out events which do not have an enabled notification on them. I have another house on the same Total Connect account and it works as expected - all events are logged, and only the ones with enabled notifications send text/email messages.

Panel is a Vista 20p.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've noticed this change in TC2 behavior as well. If you have the event set up but the Enabled box unchecked, will it log the event for you without a notification?

Old 07-25-16, 10:28 AM
No, it has to be enabled. One way to work with this would be to have notifications set up to send to an email address where I just ignore the messages. That way I could get the events logged. Then I'd have to set up a second notification for those sensors where I actually did want a (text message) notification.

What's weird is that this behavior is only seen on one of my two accounts. Actually I'm not sure about that - other house is a vacation house where no one has opened a door in a couple weeks. I'll find out soon if that house is showing the same behavior. But this behavior didn't change until I swapped out communicators, and the alarm company accidentally downgraded me to "Basic" Total Connect, and then fixed it and set it back to "Enhanced" Total Connect.

Old 07-25-16, 01:07 PM
Honeywell tech support today claims that this behavior has always been the same, but like you I seem to remember it acting differently before.

Their suggest fix was to do what you did, send the notifications to a group with a user setup but with the Enable This List unchecked so that the event does log but doesn't generate an alert.

I'd be curious to hear if your other account is logging the Sensor Opens without needing an actual notification setup.

Old 07-26-16, 11:31 AM
I'll know in about a week what is happening at the other location. Someone is scheduled to do a walk-thru there. I'll update this thread w/any new information.

Old 07-27-16, 01:42 PM
The walk-thru actually ended up taking place yesterday.

It turns out I can't confirm the behavior, because I forgot the front door and inside garage door are actually on the same wired zone, so I can't distinguish them. This will have to wait for a few weeks from now when I am there, and can test all the zones individually.

Old 07-29-16, 04:51 PM
I contacted Honeywell Security through their Facebook page, and received an answer to my query about this change to Total Connect event logging. The short answer is that what I'm observing now is the expected behavior, and they think the previous behavior (log everything) may have been the result of not performing a panel sync in the app. I'm not convinced of the latter, but the bottom line is that this new behavior is what they want it to do, so I need to adapt. What I have done with the email notifications is send it to a Gmail account, and use a filter to both label and archive the notification. That keeps it out of my Inbox with no action needed on my part, while allowing the event to be logged and visible in the Total Connect app and web site.

My correspondence with Honeywell:

Me: There appears to be a recent change to how event logging works in TC2. Until sometime last week, all sensor events would be logged in the Event Log, regardless of whether a notification was set up or not. Now, it appears you need to have an enabled notification set up for the sensor event, or it is not logged. This is very inconvenient, as it requires notifications to be set up on all sensors events that you want logged. Why was this change made? Please do not tell me it always worked this way, because my Event Logs prove otherwise. Thanks.

Honeywell: Thank you for reaching out and bringing your experience to our attention. We are looking into why this change was made, and we will get back to you with an update.

Honeywell: We only log sensor setup for notifications when a successful panel sync has been completed. Your sensor open/close notifications indicate that either a successful panel sync had not been completed until now or there was an issue with your account that has since been corrected. Do you have any additional questions?

Me: Hi - thanks for the reply. Just so I am clear - you're saying that the logging of all events (regardless of whether a notification was set up) was the result of not having done a panel sync, and that the logging of selected (those with a notification) events is the behavior after a successful panel sync? Thanks.

Honeywell: Hi, we want to make sure we give you the most accurate and current information. For this reason, we are currently double checking on your inquiry and will get back to you with a confirmation soon. Thank you.

Honeywell: Hi, after further investigation we would like to confirm that yes, your interpretation is correct. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Old 08-24-16, 12:30 PM
I'm a the other house, whose alarm configuration hasn't been touched, and it's exhibiting the same behavior. Events are only logged if there is an enabled notification on the sensor. I have a special user group set up that sends the email to my Gmail account, and then a rule there that just immediately deletes the notification emails.

Old 08-24-16, 01:30 PM
I work for an alarm company that specializes in Honeywell and TC2 service and I'm confident that something did change on their server end that they aren't quite admitting to but unfortunately, it does seem that this is the behavior they intend to see going forward so the best work around is to simply create a new TC2 user Group and assign a user to the Ground but then un-check the Enabled this List option and save. You can then setup the Sensor Open alerts for all the zones you want to log and have them sent to that group so that it doesn't actually create a notification.

Old 08-24-16, 04:12 PM
Ah, it's the enable on the user group, not the enable on the sensor. I was unchecking the Enable option on the sensor, and that was causing the event to not get logged.