Problem with DSC alarm wireless door sensor

Old 07-26-16, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with DSC alarm wireless door sensor

Hi all,
I have a British Gas burglar alarm system which is a rebranded DSC alarm. It has keypad KP5501Z.
The 'armed' buzzing noise goes off at random, often in the middle of the night, and it's very loud. Not good. The main alarm does not sound, but the keycode has to be entered to switch off the 'armed' sound.
The trouble light comes on but there is no code to indicate the cause.
I have recently changed the main 12V alarm battery, so that's not likely to be at fault.

The problem seems to be related to the wireless front door sensor.
I tried bypassing that zone but it doesn't work. The zone number flashes but then it doesn't activate bypassing. I can bypass other zones OK. I'm guessing that communication with that sensor is faulty? I notice that the magnet isn't as close to the sensor as it could be. Could that be relevant? I have changed the batteries in the sensor.

Any tips on troubleshooting, finding a replacement, or in the meantime, preventing the random buzzing, would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-16, 10:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the UK.
You should put non-US in your user bio for us.

The following info should pertain your system:
To view troubles from an LCD Keypad
Use the arrow (< >) keys to scroll to the following message.
Name:  A1.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  12.0 KB

Press [✱] [2] to view the trouble. The message will read...
Name:  A2.JPG
Views: 532
Size:  11.9 KB

Use the arrow (< >) keys to view which troubles are present on the system. Once you have scrolled through the list of troubles, press the [#] key to exit the Trouble Viewing mode and return to the Ready state.

Your panel is in trouble mode. That tone you hear is the trouble tone. You'll keep getting it until the problem is fixed.

If the magnet is not near enough to make it normal it will show a fault.
A trouble can be caused by a sensor that the panel lost it's programming for, is out of range or possibly the case is not on correctly.

Old 07-27-16, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I should have been clearer - when I type in *2 no trouble code is displayed. Over the years I have used the trouble code notifications to refresh batteries in the system. There's nothing displayed this time.

Old 07-27-16, 02:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Most of the current production DSC wireless transmitter have a cover tamper switch, that can be a bit of a pain to diagnose if it's not making good contact.

Since you are getting a trouble indication, but not seeing a trouble code displayed (on a 5501 model keypad, it's the small row of numbers at the top of the display), there is something odd going on.

Could it be a momentary communication glitch?

To do any significant maintenance on this system you need the installer/engineer code (your master arm/disarm code will not get you into the configuration menus you would need to replace the transmitter, should it be failing).