Using resistors correctly in alarm system

Old 07-27-16, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using resistors correctly in alarm system

I have a Dsc pc1832 that runs wireless sensors for doors and motion detector except two wired sensors, I just changed some of the wireless sensor for wired an re located the wireless sensors.

At the begging I was not using resistors on the sensors but now I decided to use resistors to monitor de line. So I went a tooled s look at the wired sensors installed by the adt installer and this is what I found ( see image attached) + and - and common were ok but zone wire is hooked up to T1 and the resistor is plugged to T2 and to NC.

Is this the correct why to use resistors? Should I add the resistors to my other wired DSC PIR sensors?

http://i64.************/7rzp.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-16, 01:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 511 Votes on 481 Posts
A little tough reading there.

Also... you need to repost your picture.... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

The resistor goes in series with the closed loop. It is supposed to be at the sensor..... hence the name EOL (end of line) resistor but many just put them in the panel to look good.

From your description.... it is correct.

Old 07-27-16, 09:07 AM
Yes I know, autocorrect on my phone didnt help, also, posting past midnight didnt help either.

here is the pic alsoName:  IMG_0711.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  42.8 KB

Old 07-27-16, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Yes, that is the correct resistor installation for a motion detector that also has a cover tamper switch that you also want to monitor. That particular method is more common to commercial installations, but some people do that in residential installs, as well.

Old 07-27-16, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, I have wired the other sensors just like this one and everything is working fine.

Now, just for general knowledge, on which situation do you use plug something on the EOL spot on the sensor?

Old 07-27-16, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 511 Votes on 481 Posts
Not quite following you.

There usually isn't a slot marked on the sensor for the EOL resistor. It's installed based on the type of alarm system. Many systems can be programmed to not need a resistor but using the resistor notifies you of a wiring problem and showing a fault.

Any commercial system will use the resistor.

Old 07-28-16, 02:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
There are some specific models of motion detector, glass break detector, and other powered devices, that have a set of terminals marked specifically for the EOL resistor. It's primarily a wiring convenience, and isn't really universal. Ultimately, all you have to remember is that, electrically, the resistor goes in series on a NC loop; and in parallel across the last device on a NO loop.

Old 07-29-16, 09:48 AM
a ok, I have mostly Dsc and one Honeywell motion sensor and both have that slot but it is good to know all this. Thanks again for the help.