New system install with wireless keypads WT5500 - TR5164

Old 07-29-16, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New system install with wireless keypads WT5500 - TR5164

I am considering buying a spec home that is already built but the builder did not make any provisions for pre-wiring. So, I have asked at a minimum for a power outlet and possibly a internet cable outlet in a closet. I am thinking of purchasing a DSC Powerseries system (1864, 1832) and adding Envisalink to connect to a home modem and using wireless keypads (WT5500) and Receiver (TR5164). The home is on a slab and no crawl space so adding any wires at this point is significantly challenging. Why a builder took such a short cut is beyond me but that is a different issue.

I have a DSC 1864 today but unfortunately my current home closet did not have an internet connection so I had to put a wireless wifi extender in the same closet which then connects to the home modem. Never had an issues and responses were very fast. In the new home, I would like to remove the variable of using a wifi wireless extender by asking the builder to run a cable outlet and power outlets at a minimum. I hope we can figure that out but if not I will fall back to the wireless extender.

However, I am clueless to wireless keypads. When I searched I found very little on how reliable, battery life, distance, interference, etc. the units are. I learned through research I need to buy a TR5164 receiver and match up the version numbers so they synch. I also learned you can only register the WT5500s to partition 1 only so you lose the ability to have multiple partions. Otherwise, they seem to work just like a wired keypad with a receiver except the TR5164 seems to be serving the purpose as the receiver and the WT5500 is just a keypad only.

The other item I have learned is there are very specific motion detector models, CO, Fire, etc. that must be used with a WT5500/TR5164 but that is a non-issue since I am having to buy everything new.

Are there other considerations or drawbacks assuming I can work out the distance and interference based on location of power series, TR5164 receiver and keypad? Anything I might be missing in terms of not having any prewire?

Anyone using a similar configuration and any issues/concerns? Appreciate feedback, guidance, gotcha's in advance.

Last edited by mwyarm; 07-29-16 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-16, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
In a typical size residence built of fairly standard materials, you should have no real problem with wireless devices. You will still need one actual wired keypad for configuration and system setup. In a pinch, you can simply locate it in the same closet with the alarm control.

Old 07-29-16, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Did not realize I would need a wired one to get everything setup; just assumed the wireless ones would work. That is good to know. I will run a wire from the closet to the outside wall of that closet. That way I can use that keypad for configuration as it is not located anywhere near any of the entry/exit doors.

Anything else? Thanks again.