Advice for outdoor security camera

Old 07-30-16, 09:19 AM
Advice for outdoor security camera

Hi,

I see many threads asking the same question, but because technology evolves so quickly, I would like to have a recent opinion on what it the current "best" (reasonably priced) outdoor camera.

My scenario:
  • Only 1 outdoor camera to install in the front of my town house
  • Residential use
  • I'll hook it to a Synology NAS with Surveillance station. So, as far as software goes, I have the required infrastructure - it just needs to be compatible. Synology claim compatibility with 4700 different IP cameras (https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility/camera)
  • Ideally PoE - so I don't have to to run power there, just the cat6 cable
  • Absolute MUST: All weather. This is in Canada and there is definitely snow, wind and rain here. For example, the "Ring doorbell" only works "down to" -20 degrees celcius if I remember correctly. I don't want a product designed for the "Californian winter"...
  • Night vision (although this is a street, there is some ambient lighting
  • Ideally 180 degrees. It would be installed on top of my front door, I'd like to see "down" who is at the door, but also see what happens on the sidewalk and street in front of my house and on my yard. There has been some vandalism issues with my bat**** crazy neighbor.

Nice to have:
- Microphone

Not sure I need pan-tilt-zoom since I want to record everything that happens.. unless there is an effective and accurate tracking option. But there is no security guard panning and zooming... I want to record when there is motion - That's it.

Also, that's probably a given, but I'd like the wires to be hidden behind the camera so that someone cannot just cut them.

It would be fixed in the stone/cement around my doorway I think. See attached picture. The red is what I want to monitor, including the crazy neighbor. The green is where I think I should mount the camera...?

I also want to know who's dog is pissing on my yard .

Any advice?

Thanks

Name:  IMG_20160730_114957 (Large).jpg
Views: 278
Size:  51.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-16, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 208
It would be fixed in the stone/cement around my doorway I think.
I don't think so. That looks like it's going to be solid block with a finished wall on the inside.

Old 07-30-16, 11:14 AM
Hi PJMax,

I'm not sure what you mean, but area around my door looks like concrete that has been cast to look like stone/doorway.

My plan is to simply drill using cement bits and fix the camera there.

Any suggestions as to the camera?

Thanks

Old 07-30-16, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 208
All my installations under 16 cameras are done using an NVR with POE.

If the Synology NAS doesn't allow for POE then you'll need to run power to the camera.
No immediate suggestions on a camera.

Old 07-30-16, 12:49 PM
PoE is not a problem - I prefer PoE.

Old 07-30-16, 04:20 PM
Good luck finding an IP camera that gives a 180 degree view.
As far as camera recommendations, Hikvision, Alibi, or Dahua are all good and reasonably priced

Old 07-30-16, 06:50 PM
a few thoughts:

There is no 'best', you have to find a good fit for what you need.

If you have an HOA [or similar] you might want to check the rules for mounting and penetrating that facade and recording other people's property or actions that are not on your property.

Sounds like you will need a heater in the enclosure [and there may be times that snow/ice builds up on the lens that limits viewing].

You may try looking into a dome [looks like a big egg dangling from an arm] where the Cat5 is threaded through the arm to the camera. The bullet style will limit your view. As was mentioned by alarmguy41895 the 180-degree is pretty much out -- You either need another camera or, a PTZ. One camera looking down at the front door AND out into the front yard is not likely.

Might want to consider mounting something beside the window above the door by hanging out the window to install and when you do hammerdrill a hole, start from the exterior side or, you might blow a big chunk of concrete from the surface.