Hard wired smoke detector question

Old 08-03-16, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard wired smoke detector question

We have a one level bungalow with a hard wired smoke detector. Mentioned this only as the heat wave continues here and the AC is running during the evening and shut off while sleeping. Not sure if the temp rise is enough to make this go off or not. Last night, in the middle of the night of course it starting beeping. Got up and a look around and all was fine. Turned off the breaker for a few minutes and all seemed good, it went off a second time but only for a few beeps. It beeped again a while later after falling asleep but only a quick beep. I took a look at the front of the unit this morning and it has written on it that "Unit will not operate with out power" so it has no backup battery I am assuming. I have never removed it so it appears you just turn off the breaker and twist to do that. Is the unit likely need to be replaced or just cleaned with some compressed air. My guess is the unit is the original since the house was built so likely 15 years plus but not positive on that. It hasn't beeped since last night and is showing power to it as per normal. Thanks for any tips.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-16, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
Smoke detectors are only good for 10 years. If yours is older then 10 years I would recommend replacing it with one with battery backup. If you have more then one in the house I would suggest replacing them all.

Smoke detectors do not go off due to heat, the go off because of smoke. Otherwise they would be heat detectors.

If your detectors are less then 10 years old then I would take them down and clean them with some compressed air. Dust and bugs tend to collect in some smoke detectors which can trigger them.

Old 08-03-16, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that, good point about "Smoke detectors do not go off due to heat, the go off because of smoke. Otherwise they would be heat detectors." I'll just go ahead and replace it with a battery backup as you suggested.

Old 08-03-16, 03:02 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Only ionization type smoke detectors need replacement every ten years, photoelectric models DO need periodic cleaning. SOME smoke detectors do have heat sensors in addition to the smoke detection but it is unlikely that they would be set off with any heat level that would also accompany human habitation.

Old 08-03-16, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
If they contain a heat sensor then they use algorithms called "rate of rise". They're looking for a rapid upwards change in heat. Definitely consider one with battery backup. The newest ones from Kidde come with a ten year rated backup battery.