GE Simon XT Questions

Old 08-04-16, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Simon XT Questions

Hello everyone, as the title states, I've got a few questions about my Simon XT.

I found an awesome deal on a Simon XT package online on Kijiji (Like Craigslist). For $75 I got: the panel, battery, power supply, cell module, motion sensor, 3 doow/window contacts, smoke detector, and keyfob. I only bought it for all the sensors as I already have a panel, and I also needed a new battery. Even if it didn't come with a panel it still would have been a wicked deal for all those sensors. My current panel is inside a safe bolted to the wall. I just use the keyfobs for arming/disarming. I keep the panel in a safe (If anyone is wondering why) because it's the lifeblood of the entire system and needs to be protected. I do plan on getting two of those touchscreen panels for the front and back door. But now I have this second panel sitting around. So I'm wondering if I could use this panel in the same way I would the touchscreen ones, merely to control the main XT panel?

My next question is about sirens and strobe lights. I currently have a DSC 20 watt external siren hooked up to a power supply and relay. I was playing around the other day and hooked up my old GE external siren to the same terminals as the DSC one, and they both fired/sounded at the same time. I'm wondering if I could do that with two DSC sirens? Is it safe electrically? Also, how to I add a strobe light? I'm guessing through the same method as my siren (power supply & relay)? Could I have all three on the same set of terminals?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-16, 02:17 PM
You can't use a 2nd Simon xt as an additional keypad you'd have to use the touch screens or if you are setup with alarm.com you could use a smartphone or tablet.
As long as your power supply can power 3 or more devices then yes you can hook them all to the same terminals

Old 08-04-16, 04:13 PM
Looking at the specs of the power supply is says 12VDC @ 1.2A continuous supply current IF I am using a 16.5VAC / 20 VA transformer to feed it. Now I bought this from an alarm company and I never noticed that the transformer outputs 16.5VAC 40VA. I don't know if 40VA is bad for the power supply board or not. There are other transformer specs for this board. One is 24VAC 40VA. So I'm guessing it's OK that it's getting 40VA, even though it's only at 16.5VAC? Or is this bad? It's been running like this for years. Anyway the sirens say 6-12VDC 700Ma, so it requires 1400Ma to run both? I tested it and they do both output sound at the same time, I'm just wondering if this will melt the board or something haha. Or will this work because the board is being fed 16.5VAC 40VA, even though it only asks for 20VA to output 12VDC?

Old 08-04-16, 05:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
A Simon XT runs on a _9_VAC 25VA transformer that converts internally into 6VDC. If you are feeding a Simon XT on a 16VAC transformer, that fact that it hasn't failed, yet, is a minor miracle.

Could your current alarm control be something _other_ than a Simon XT?

Old 08-04-16, 06:17 PM
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  28.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  29.4 KB

Oh lol no no no. The XT didn't have enough power for the siren. So I had to add a relay and power supply board to it, along with its own transformer. See photos. The XT still has its own factory transformer feeding it. See photos

Old 08-04-16, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
If your primary concern is powering sirens, then as long as your total load doesn't exceed the power supply rating, then your are good to go.