Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electronic Home Security Systems, Alarms and Devices
Reload this Page >

Purchased house with preinstalled wired Vista system. How can I check the zones?

Purchased house with preinstalled wired Vista system. How can I check the zones?

Old 08-04-16, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a house that has a Vista-10P system with wired sensors on all the doors and windows (3 doors and about 15 windows) as well as a motion sensor.

It was previously monitored with ADT, but I bought an Envisalink module and would like to have internet access and monitoring.

So how can I figure out what sensors are in what zones? Is there a way to check the programming for this? Or do I need to look at the wiring in the panel and see what each wire from each sensor goes to?

Or do I need to reset the system completely and reprogram it?

Some of the documentation I have looked through says in order to program I need to enter an installers code first? I don't have this.

Any help here is much appreciated! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-16, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 513 Votes on 483 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Some of the information you need has been posted so many times it's now covered in a sticky. Please look at the top of the forum at the sticky threads pertaining to alarm systems.

This one is particularly helpful.... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electronic-home-security-systems-alarms-devices/203784-alarm-forum-faq-please-read-before-posting.html

Once you familiarize yourself more with your system... you can ask direct questions that we can help you with.

Old 08-04-16, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
The simple, cheap, brute force way to figure out your zones, is to have a helper open one door/window at a time, while you make note as to what zone shows up on the keypad.

Old 08-05-16, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the answers!

I have been doing a lot of reading and testing and I was able to get the installer code, reset the master code, add user codes, etc.

I have also been able note the zone ID's that appear on the screen when a door/window is opened.

But I'm still a little unclear in two areas.

I have a side door and front door which are both common entrances, as well as a back door. I'm trying to figure out which one was set as the primary entry door, and if front and side doors were set as entry doors, etc.

I have the fixed word LCD display so it only shows a number on the screen when the doors are opened, it doesn't say "entry" or anything like that. Other than arming the system and opening the door to see if the entry delay starts (and possible setting off the alarm), is there any other way to check the programming on this?

Also, the Vista 10P is supposed to have 6 hardwired zones. When opening all the doors and windows, more than 6 different ID numbers have appeared on the LCD. Is this possible?
For example-
Motion detector - 4
Front door - 9
Side - 13
Back - 16
etc

All sensors are wired. Looking at my alarm board (attached) I see zone 9-10-11, and 12-13 are all connected by resistors. 13 and 14 appear to have devices wired. Since the sensors are wired I figured they would have to be wired direct to the panel, or maybe these are daisy chained together?

Name:  alarm_board.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  38.7 KB

Old 08-05-16, 12:46 PM
The numbers you're looking at are terminal numbers not zone numbers. On the inside of the panel cover & in your installation manual you will find a wiring diagram. Each zone requires 2 wires, the zone and common. Zone 1&2 share the same common, 3&4, 5&6 share common as well.
Either your devices are connected in series for example a group of Windows on a zone, or you have some wireless devices in the system

Old 08-05-16, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
If you have zone numbers higher than 8 showing up, then most likely some of your zones may be wireless (one of your keypads may be a wireless receiver model), otherwise, it's possible that you have a wired zone expander (low on the likelihood range).

The most common wireless transmitters have a visible transmitter box (about 2 inches long by an inch wide and tall), but there are some compact models that can be hidden in a door or window frame.