Bad monitor or camera?

Old 08-15-16, 07:51 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Bad monitor or camera?

We have an 15 year old bw security camera feeding a 5 year old Videology 40VM14 color CRT using the BNC connector. The video on the monitor has started scrolling/rolling vertically which makes it pretty much useless. No loose connection at the CRT. Cannot easily reach the camera as it is mount 15 feet up outside our building. I was just going to order a new monitor but had some doubts if it might instead be a bad camera. How do I decide on which item is bad without investing in any test equipment? I tried the old style fix of smacking the CRT but no change. I also looked for a vertical adjustment knob but don't see anything.

I don't know much about CCTV so can I buy any monitor with a BNC input?

If I need a camera, do I need to take the old one down first to know what to replace it with?

Suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

- Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-16, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
Do you have an old picture tube TV lying around that has a BNC connector? You could try that instead of your monitor. If the picture doesn't scroll then the problem was likely the monitor. If it still scrolls the problem likely is the camera.

If you need a new monitor they will all be flat screen. Make sure you look at the inputs on the new monitor to see if it has BNC. They are available but most flat screen TVs do not have BNC but many monitors intended for security cameras do.

If you need to replace the camera you can get the old one down first and try to find a new one that has the same power plug and BNC. Also check what power your old camera uses. If the new camera takes different you may need a new power supply.

Old 08-15-16, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is an adapter that converts bnc to rca so you can connect to your tv thru the AV input

Old 08-15-16, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 520 Votes on 490 Posts
There really aren't many dedicated composite monitors left anymore with BNC connectors.

Like AG mentioned... use a BNC female to RCA male connector then you can try the camera with just about any TV as most have a composite input on them.

Name:  bnc.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  7.1 KB