Just had surgery, and cant reach a fire alarm... Any way to turn off manually?

Old 08-16-16, 01:24 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just had surgery, and cant reach a fire alarm... Any way to turn off manually?

I have a fire alarm thats tucked away on the ceiling of a stairwell in my home. I cant get up there, and I cant get on a ladder due to just having surgery.

I do however have a giant pole which ive used successfully twice to turn off the beeping (I presume the battery is low). It turned off twice, but came back on about 20 hours later. I dont remember exactly how I did it. I just hit the button a few times.

Any suggestions? I can hire someone tomorrow to come replace the battery but I would like to sleep tonight if possible.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-16, 06:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Usually you just push button to test, With a low battery I don't think it will reset.

Old 08-16-16, 06:22 AM
Received 142 Votes on 129 Posts
Can't you call a neighbor?

Old 08-16-16, 11:33 AM
S
Received 20 Votes on 12 Posts
First, are you SURE it's a battery issue? Is it chirping once every minute or two? Or is it a more frequent beeping? Just want to make sure it's not indicating an actual problem like carbon monoxide.

If a neighbor or family can't help, you could give your local fire station a call - NOT 911, look up the fire station itself in the phone book or Google - and speak to one of the firefighters. They might be able to assist. I know in my time in the FD we were sent out for all sorts of public assists.

Old 08-16-16, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 566 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't sound like a battery problem. The test button doesn't reset the detector from a low battery. When the battery is low.... it will beep every so often and you can't stop it.

Depending on the age and what it is.... it may require replacement.

Old 08-17-16, 05:22 AM
Received 142 Votes on 129 Posts
PJ makes a good point about age. Most alarms are 3 or 5 year warranty and are considered no good after that period, even if they still operate.

They now have 10 year sealed battery alarms. Never replace the battery for 10 years. That means no more twice a year battery change. Mount it and forget it.

Old 08-17-16, 03:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 45 Posts
The general rule of thumb for the typical Ion smoke alarm is to replace them between 8 to 10 years after manufacture (the mildly radioactive sensing mechanism degrades with age).

CO detectors are the ones you replace at 5-6 years (they even date stamp them).

Photo smokes (the better grade consumer models, and the ones typically used in commercial fire systems) can last much longer (15+ years) as long as they are given periodic cleaning and maintenance.