Siren/horn is still making a very low sound

Old 09-07-16, 09:57 AM
Siren/horn is still making a very low sound

I just recently changed my system from ADT to xFinity home. The siren/horn was disconnected from the box but is still making a low level alarm sound. If I cut the wire to it will it sound loudly or will it stop? It is not being used in my new system.
Thanks for any help I can get.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-16, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
Welcome to the forums.

If the siren was disconnected from the old panel and NOT connected to the new panel..... how is cutting the unconnected wiring going to change anything ?

I'd be very careful cutting random wires.

Old 09-07-16, 12:09 PM
I don't know that is why I asked. I called xfinity and they said it is not connected. ADT will not tell me anything because I am no longer their customer. So I found this forum and thought I might get some help. Is there a battery in the siren that powers it? Should I talk to an electrician?

Old 09-07-16, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
Do you know where the siren/horn is ?
You could take a picture of it and post it here. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html
There is very rarely a battery inside the siren.

Old 09-07-16, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 21
Unless it's an independently powered siren, your device shouldn't be making _any_ noise. There are a few siren models that have a battery backup, but they are uncommon in North America.

If you are talking about wires at the siren unit, itself, it shouldn't make any difference if you cut wires. It's possible that you are hearing sound from an unrelated device.

Old 09-08-16, 08:18 PM
Possibly an X10 siren?

My first emergency/after hours service call was to stop an X10 siren going off late at night -- Didn't even know they existed until that moment. Had to squeeze up in a very small attic space to determine/rectify the issue.

Old 09-09-16, 03:07 PM
Are you sure it's the alarm system siren?
Is the siren in question accessible? If so open the siren and clip one of the wires and cap it.