Easy Replacement For Moose Z1100 Exist?

Old 09-09-16, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Easy Replacement For Moose Z1100 Exist?

So we have a Moose Z1100 that was installed back in 87/88 sometime. It's been giving false signals quite a bit lately and have been thinking of upgrading. System is hardwired, and consists of 6 motion detectors and 6 door contacts.

Since everything is already installed, ideally I'd like to just leave the existing wiring intact and replace the components, which should be rather straight forward.

Is there anything out there that's recommended to do what I'm looking for?

A quick Google search brought me to believe that a system called a "Concord 4" might do what I'm looking for.

I just registered today, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-16, 03:59 PM
What sensors are giving false alarms?
Have you checked and cleaned the motion sensors?
As far as a panel replacement goes a Honeywell Vista 20p is a very common, reliable, and popular choice.

Old 09-09-16, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Pretty much any of the modern alarm systems (DSC, Interlogix-Concord, Interlogix-Networx, Honeywell Vista, etc.) will work. They all vary a bit in features and ease of DIY installation. You will find that the Vista is likely to be a little easier to match up to the existing installation (Concords use a speaker instead of the siren that the old Moose likely has)

Old 09-11-16, 02:38 PM
I haven't pin-pointed the exact sensors that are tripping the alarm, although I do know what zone they are in. I've just been shunting that particular zone so I don't get constant calls from the alarm control center at all hours of the night and upsetting neighbors in the process.

I've not cleaned the sensors. Ever. Is there a possibility that maybe I don't have a bad one and they just need some maintenance? We've never done anything other than swap the battery out when it goes bad. The system was installed by a friend who works for the FBI doing this exact thing, so I'm confident it was installed correctly as it's worked well all these years up until earlier this summer.

My wife and I are currently having a Vista 20p installed in our home, so I'm somewhat familiar with it (the install is not even completed yet, just the wiring. Supposed to be done Tuesday I think)

I *think* the motion sensors are 2,200 ohm, do the 20p pieces work in a similar fashion, or is it simply a matter of swapping in the correct resistor?

Old 09-11-16, 05:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The end of line resistor is a function of the alarm system, and you swap out the resistor for the ones that match the alarm control. The contacts and motions are basically fancy switches and relays. They can and do wear out, with time, and if the alarm system is starting to fail, it may be momentarily dropping the power it supplies to the motions, which will also cause a false alarm.

Keep in mind, that little relay inside each of those motions cycles _every time_ a person move in it's field of view, so over a period of years, those little relays cycle thousands of times a year, so they can simply mechanically wear out. The same goes for the contacts on fairly high traffic doors.

About the only real maintenance for motions is to check them to make sure that insects haven't gotten inside of them, and there's no decorations moving around in their field of view.

Old 09-26-16, 02:44 PM
Ok, so I'm searching around and figure I'll have to piece this thing together so I can upgrade it. So first, I'm looking at new motion detectors. I have 6 currently. They are the originals that came with the Moose system.

I found a Honeywell IS216 online. Would this be a decent upgrade to my current almost 20 y/o pieces?

Old 09-26-16, 07:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, pretty much any current generation, standard 12v motion detector will work just fine.

Old 10-12-16, 07:15 AM
Ok, so I finally got around to swapping out our old sensors (Wonderex RX-35) with new Honeywell IS216's. Replaced 6. I found an additional one I had forgot about that was just laying face down in the insulation in the attic in which I just attached the 12v and ground wires together as it was the feed for another which is in the attic.

Anyway, they all seem to work exactly like the old ones did. Little more sensitive and more range. BUT, now when I try to arm the system, the "ready" light never comes on allowing me to arm before I leave the building. Is it possible I need to simply reverse the normally closed wires on the sensors?

Or is there something else I'm missing?

Old 10-12-16, 02:32 PM
Got it figured out. I just started shunting zones until I could get it to set to narrow down which zone was causing the issue. Turned out, one zone had another sensor on it that I had forgot about and was now gone. Just put a resistor on the new sensor and we seem all good.

For the moment anyway.

Appreciate all the help.