Some help with home CCTV configuration please!

Old 09-10-16, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some help with home CCTV configuration please!

I have been doing some research on CCTVs but it's really quite hard to get into it as a beginner, so was hoping I could get some advice about specific types of cameras/equipment from you guys!

Over the last year, I have stupidly accidentally left my car unlocked in my driveway twice. On these two occasions, stuff has been stolen from the car. A neighbour of mine has told me he once saw someone walking around checking cars to see if they can luckily find one unlocked. Someone also burgled a neighbour's house after the neighbour accidentally left a balcony door unlocked during the day.

Therefore (in addition to not stupidly leaving stuff unlocked again) I'd like to get three CCTV cameras; front camera one - to overlook the front door and part of the driveway, front camera two - to overlook the balcony and catch someone's face if they try to climb into it, and also the other part of the driveway, and rear garden camera - to look out over the garden, fences, door etc.

I would like the cameras to fulfil the following criteria:
- Maybe at least 4MP to be able to pick out detail and zoom in without pixellating? Does this sound reasonable? Should I go higher?
- Probably a dome camera (as it seems as these are the most sturdy and have least number of moving parts exposed to the environment/that can be tampered with)
- Night time video/IR capability to give me detail in picking out faces for at least 15m
- Probably rather than recording continuously, I would just have them set to record motion detection, that way saving a lot of space on the DVR and reducing the amount of footage for me to trawl through when required.
- If possible to access video via smartphone too
- I've read wireless cameras aren't that great so would have to wire them with CAT6.
- The two cameras at the front are quite a way from the camera at the back. If cabling them to a single DVR I'm not sure if I would like to have so many wires going along the walls from room to room, so may just have two DVRs, one for front and one for back.
- The alternative is that I have a Synology NAS with 9TB of storage and it has a built in Surveillance Station app. Does anyone have any experience with this, and is it any good? Most of all, is it reliable?

I'd like to do this as cheap as possible, but I'm only going to want to install, wire and setup all this stuff once, so I'm willing to not skimp out on the better quality stuff (within reason) in order to get equipment that is reliable and will do what I want without requiring more work later.

Many thanks for all your help. If I haven't thought of anything in particular, please feel free to educate me!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-16, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the UK.

- Maybe at least 4MP to be able to pick out detail and zoom in without pixellating? Does this sound reasonable? Should I go higher? Shoot for 4-5 mp cameras. Most of the cameras are fixed and don't zoom in. That feature is available but will cost you.

- Probably a dome camera (as it seems as these are the most sturdy and have least number of moving parts exposed to the environment/that can be tampered with) Yes... called envirodomes.

- Night time video/IR capability to give me detail in picking out faces for at least 15m
Most have night time IR illumination. The picture at night is not in color. 15m is pushing the limits of IR illumination regardless of camera claims.

- Probably rather than recording continuously, I would just have them set to record motion detection, that way saving a lot of space on the DVR and reducing the amount of footage for me to trawl through when required. That would be called an NVR.... network video recorder. Motion recording is good but be advised that leaves moving on trees constitutes motion.

- If possible to access video via smartphone too Most companies have a free app and DNS forwarding service available. That works by the NVR keeping in touch with the companies server. When you want to see mobile video... you access your NVR thru the company server.

- I've read wireless cameras aren't that great so would have to wire them with CAT6.
Even with wireless cameras.... they need power. Go with wired cameras. Cat5E is fine.

- The two cameras at the front are quite a way from the camera at the back. If cabling them to a single DVR I'm not sure if I would like to have so many wires going along the walls from room to room, so may just have two DVRs, one for front and one for back.
No.... you want one 4 channel NVR running the whole system. Find a way to run the cable. Don't forget it needs a cable to your router too for internet access.

- The alternative is that I have a Synology NAS with 9TB of storage and it has a built in Surveillance Station app. Does anyone have any experience with this, and is it any good? Most of all, is it reliable? Can't help you with this one.

Old 09-10-16, 12:00 PM
The higher the resolution, the better detail and digital zoom you will get.
External Infrared Illuminators will give you better night time picture, there are 2 wavelength models so make sure you match it up to the camera specs.

Old 09-10-16, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Was hoping for some camera recommendations? There's so much out there, and it's difficult to tell which ones are good and which ones to stay away from, for someone who has no knowledge of the market.

Old 09-10-16, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
Where do you intend to get them from ?

Our suppliers here are different from yours.

Old 09-10-16, 01:25 PM
I was probably going to buy from Amazon or similar online retailer. I had assumed a lot of the models/brands you guys have would also be available in the UK.

Regarding running wired cameras, this would be quite difficult in my home configuration.

I have powerline adapters I could use - but some of the cameras I've seen like the Hikvision 4MP turret cameras have power over ethernet, which isn't supported by my Powerline adapters. Is there a way to make it possible to still use powerline for these cameras? I've seen the POE adapters, but didn't necessarily think those would convert my powerline to allow power?

Old 09-10-16, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
The Hikvision cameras are POE which means they can be powered from the NVR via the network cable. OR they also have a DC power connection lead for powering each camera directly.

Name:  Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-10.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 09-10-16, 02:40 PM
Ah that's great news.

I saw those connectors at a distance in a picture and thought it was maybe an audio cable or something, but if it's power, then I can just buy a separate power cable and use a powerline adapter to connect the ethernet to the home network?

The issue with getting network cables from both the front and back cameras to a central NVR is going to be very hard, and make this job a lot more difficult, which I'm keen to avoid if possible, therefore hoping to do via powerline.

Are you aware if I connect 2 or 3 cameras via powerline, then can I just connect an NVR box to my router directly and have the cameras and NVR interface that way?

I was looking at perhaps this model:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-D...+turret+camera

If I want to connect this to a vertical outside wall, would I have to buy a separate bracket, or will the turret rotate in order for me to be able to mount this vertically and still get the angle I want?

For example a bracket like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DS-2CD2132-...camera+bracket

And any suggestions on focal lengths? I know that 2.8mm is more wide angle than 4mm, but how would I know which one is going to offer how much angle of view? Is it just a trial and error kind of thing, or is there a way I can estimate exactly what view I'm going to get with a lens of a particular focal length?

Old 09-10-16, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
I believe you need to connect the cameras directly to the NVR to set IP allocation then you can connect them to the network. You may need to program each camera directly with an IP address that matches your router. The cameras come with a disc.

I've always used the PnP method which requires little effort on the installers part.

I've been using this style of camera....
amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-DS-2CD2142FWD-External-Network-Camera

Pretty cool mount but if the cable comes in from the back then it's not needed. The camera turns around the inside the dome.... approx 300. Then the camera itself turns inside a mounting plate. So no matter where it's mounted it can be adjusted.

I carry both on board... 2.8mm and 4mm. You could buy one of each and try them.
If you buy three at one time... buy 2) 2.8's and 1) 4mm.

Name:  dome.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  43.6 KB

Old 09-10-16, 03:18 PM
Thanks a lot Pete, I appreciate your help a lot!

I'm looking into using Synology Surveillance Station on my Synology 9TB NAS instead of an NVR as it acts as the same thing, and can potentially just use the powerline connection to allocate an IP and save video. It also has some good firmware accessible via DDNS from anywhere in the world. I know you said you don't have any experience with this, but it would potentially save me having to spend extra money on an NVR and cabling all the cameras directly to that. We'll see what my research turns up!

Old 09-10-16, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... most of my customers don't have that much storage available which is one reason for the NVR. I can also remote admin a camera system thru the NVR.

Old 09-13-16, 07:48 AM
Just keep in mind that all of this just may wind up only giving you a video that you can show your friends and relatives of some stranger who's wearing a hoodie, taking your stuff .

You might do better in better securing your car ( try better lighting at night and if you don't have one, a car alarm system) and an alarm system for your home.

THEN ..... you can think about video surveillance.

Old 09-13-16, 01:27 PM
Yeah I realise I may never actually see the guy with this. I do have all of the above, car alarm, security light directly above the car, home alarm. I was just stupid to leave it unlocked, but clearly someone is walking around checking for stuff to steal. So perhaps there is a chance a visible camera would deter. Not sure. If not, then hopefully catch.

Old 09-13-16, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
So perhaps there is a chance a visible camera would deter.
In that case you could buy one of those dummy cams with the blinking red light on it.