Spy camera

Old 09-14-16, 06:46 PM
Spy camera

So have an issue with a family member. Need a small camera. Can something be hooked into att dvr, or am I gonna have to go wireless to a pc? No experience with this and can't afford much. Doesn't have to work in the dark. Any suggestions? Thx DM

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-16, 09:43 PM
Any video recorder that has a composite video input, a yellow RCA-type input jack, can use the video output of an inexpensive video camera. Cameras are available approximately 1-1/2 inch square so could probably be disguised or hidden fairly easily. You will need to have a coaxial cable to connect the camera to the recorder although this cable could be listed as an audio cable and work as well as one specifically listed as made for video.

Old 09-15-16, 02:26 AM
If you have an old smart phone laying around try Presence... It's a free app that uses Wifi to send you video of movement. The free version works very well. Presence

Old 09-15-16, 02:38 AM
I'll prolly have to get a used dvr. The only one I have is in living room. The area I need in a different room and is a 2nd att wireless receiver. Unsure how I could program that one to record off a camera. Doubt if this att equip is designed to do this,

Old 09-15-16, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I know it has nothing to do with the original question, but I feel obligated to bring up the moral and ethical use of video cameras. The person you are "having problems" with has a reasonable expectation of privacy, so it is thin ice. Our advice is strictly based on the technical issues, and has no relevance to the ultimate use of it.

Old 09-15-16, 04:02 AM
I understand. It's my 14 yr old snitching food outta bedroom fridge. I'm just drinking around. Lol

Old 09-15-16, 04:28 AM
Another comment not related to the original question, but being one who has some experience in the after effects of video monitoring I would be worried about the effects of confronting that 14 year old video evidence of their problem. The results can make a person a bit paranoid thinking there is always a camera watching them and that is not necessarily good. Unfortunately, the idea of cameras everywhere is becoming a reality. But remember, the problem is not just the refrigerator.

Best,
Bud

Old 09-15-16, 04:35 AM
back to original post. there is a yellow video out, which seems to me would need to be video in. There is an open networking socket. also has the Y, Pb, Pr jacks. The open network jack is on the wireless receiver without the dvr. I'm assuming and stand alone dvr would be the best way to go. I'm just unsure how I would control the att drv, with said camera. I would run it non stop, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-15-16, 04:52 AM
I have to comment on Larry's and Bud's comments. I have to agree with them. Use extreme caution. It would be better to remove the object of contention (take the fridge away and tell him/her as to why) than use covert action. Or use a camera with complete transparency. Make it known that video surveillance is being used.

I have many cams in my down stairs area and my wife and daughter are totally aware of them as is anybody who visits can see them.

I would rather be video'd (at work, in stores, or anywhere) and know about it as opposed to being filmed in secret. Keep honest people honest and non-honest people in check.

On another note, Doorman, please tell me more about this app (Presence) and smartphone use. Do you keep the phone plugged in and charging in the on position at all times? If so are there any fears of over heating and possible fire hazard?

Old 09-15-16, 04:57 AM
I'm curious as if the older iphone has to have a current subscription, as to be able to use? I don't really care about live video. I'm just looking for the recorder. Say start it when I go to work, and turn off and view when I get home. I'm reading the Presence website info and don't seem to find this.

Old 09-15-16, 06:49 AM
You don't need a cellular subscription to use an old phone in the presence of a wifi network. I use an old phone on the couch to surf the net, TV program guide apps, wireless remote (has an IR emitter).

A review of Presence

Old 09-15-16, 06:52 AM
thx guy

My bad, wasn't thinking about that. So then I guess i can download the app on the phone via wifi, without issue as well? Then I guess I'll only be able to use what memory the phone has on it to record, vs the icloud space I could either purchase, or that is given? Perhaps it's my phone I'm viewing from that acts as the recorder. I'll have to figure this out.

Old 09-15-16, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without getting into ethics, involved: You could go with something like a game camera, if you are going to be blatant about it; or you could get one of the inexpensive "nanny cam" systems, some of which are built into things like clocks and stuffed animals. Most of those have memory cards, and some are wifi enabled.

Examples: Portable Hidden Cameras and Spy Cameras

Old 09-15-16, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why not put a lock on the refrigerator and be done with it? Wouldn't be too hard to figure out how to set up a locking mechanism that either needs a key or combination.

Old 09-27-16, 06:08 PM
In private areas such as bath and bedroom I agree everyone in a household has an expectation of privacy.

I think any expectation of privacy in public areas like kitchen, patio and living room should NOT be expected in my or anyone elses home.

As said, best to remove the appliance from a bedroom.

Old 09-28-16, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
public areas like kitchen, patio and living room
"Public areas????" Surely you jest. It is a home, not a nursing facility. There are NO public areas in a home, IMO. But I agree to remove the temptation is best.

Old 09-28-16, 04:42 AM
"Public areas????" Surely you jest. It is a home, not a nursing facility. There are NO public areas in a home, IMO. But I agree to remove the temptation is best.
I know I'm splitting hairs and I do it just for the sake of argument , but when you are invited into a person's home, be it living room, kitchen, etc..., it becomes a public place. By that I mean the invited guest is now privy to your environment and can talk about it freely to others. My living quarter cams are in plane site to all but I doubt anyone sees them or even cares. Truth be told I hardly ever view them. But when no one is home it's nice to be able to view what's not going on. When we had the dog it was a God's send to see what he was up to. Of course bath and bedrooms are off limits.

Old 09-28-16, 11:56 AM
"Public areas????" Surely you jest. It is a home, not a nursing facility. There are NO public areas in a home, IMO."

Surely you know what I mean, maybe you would like the term common areas more?

Old 09-28-16, 02:51 PM
Surely you know what I mean, maybe you would like the term common areas more?
Sure, that works for me. A rose by any other name...

Old 09-28-16, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... I think we've beaten this subject to death.

Let's wait and see if the OP has any more questions on his camera.