Vista 20p & 5816 General Fault

Old 09-15-16, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 20p & 5816 General Fault

I have been getting a general fault message for last couple of days at tappox the same time each day. There are 4 5816's in the same area along with A smoke and glass break sensor. The units have new batteries .

They do not reset right away even after codes are entered.

At the time of the alerts there is no one in or around the location.

Nothing has changed on the location and it has been in place for quite a while.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-16, 02:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Are all the devices in that area, including the glassbreak and smoke wireless?

I doubt that all 4 transmitters failed at once. I assume that you are getting the "Check XX" message for each transmitter, and I assume that you've made no programming changes for the zones. The covers do have a tamper switch that sometimes the cover doesn't make proper contact to engage.

Old 09-15-16, 03:35 PM
Sounds like they may be missing the "check in" signal

Old 09-16-16, 06:13 AM
Today we got supervisory alert from monitoring station for our 22 zone and that is what they saw for 20 yesterday. same time 758am Could ther ebe an issue with the wireless reciever? I just do understand but am grateful the others zones in the area are not reporting issues

Old 09-16-16, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It _can_ be an issue with the receiver. It's not common, but not unheard of, for the receiver so start becoming erratic about getting the supervision transmissions.

Again this _can_ be an issue with either the cover tamper or the transmitter.

Have there been any changes in the RF environment? A new router, a neighbor with a strong ham radio, even something as odd as a large mirror added to the environment can interfere with these low power devices.

Old 09-16-16, 01:41 PM
It's also possible the batteries on these sensors have drained enough to lower their transmitting power (so they aren't reaching the panel anymore) but not low enough to cause an actual low battery trouble message. If they are have been in place for a couple of years, I would suggest trying new batteries as a possible fix.

Another possible reason for the new trouble alerts is an environmental change in the home that's causing RF interference between the sensors and the panel.

Old 09-17-16, 03:47 PM
Batteries

I did swap out the batteries even though they are 60 days old just ot be sure and found that when I pulled cover I got no tamper alert and when I pulled battery nothing. I put the new ones in and same response.. I will try tomorrow to remove battery from a know good unit and swap them around to see if the issue follows Battery.

I am curious about the comment on NEW ROUTER not sure I follow what that could do to create an issuein the uhf range the transmitters use.

Old 09-17-16, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The alarm transmitters are very low power devices. The rf from a wireless router can create harmonics that interfere. It is not something that is easy to quantify beyond the fact that it happens, from time to time.

The fact that you are getting no response on pulling the battery cover and battery leads me to suspect that you simply have a failed transmitter. If you have a 2-line alpha keypad (6160 or equivalent) you can easily replace it.

Old 09-18-16, 09:25 PM
I pulled the 2 units and moved them closer to the panel (actually 15 feet from the router and other devices) and the units sent restore to the panel and one sent tamper when the cover was removed. The other 3 transmitters in the original still reporting as desired.

Old 09-19-16, 06:26 AM
Are the sensors that are working farther than 15' from the receiver in another area of the house than the ones that only work 15' away?

If so, the new router (or some other new electronics introduced in the environment) could be blocking the RF range to one area of the house which may be drastically reducing the range of sensors in that area.

Do some testing with the router (and other possible causes of RF interference - baby monitors, Sonos speakers, etc) powered down to see if the sensor behavior changes.

Old 09-19-16, 07:51 AM
The units that failed were in same area further away . The ones that remained in that area still work and never failed. The 2 that failed are now working and are closer to receiver than before.

However that is all that has changed no new router or switch .

The newest item is that one of the transmitters was replaced 90 days ago but the issue only just started 10 days ago.

Old 09-19-16, 08:07 AM
Now that they are working closer to the receiver, have you tested them back at their original locations to see if they work there again?

Old 09-19-16, 09:01 AM
Not yet I thought I would leave for like 48 hrs to see if they fail again

Old 10-17-16, 12:31 PM
So I replaced the sensor and it has had no issues in that main zone since.
thanks