Home prewired coax to bnc adapter?

Old 09-25-16, 08:54 AM
Home prewired coax to bnc adapter?

Hi,

Was wondering if the home has prewired outlets outside areas, but the cable is terminated as a coaxial instead of the BNC ends on both sides. Will a system work still if I get a adapter that the regular coaxial attaches to and then converts to a BNC? Or best to cut the wire and install a BNC end instead? Just curious if the adapter would alter or disrupt the flow of video quality/image etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-16, 09:27 AM
It's likely home was prewired to distribute cable or broadcast TV. What is it you want to use the cable for, video from a security cam? Something else? What type of cable is it? It should be stamped on the jacket and will be something like RG59 or RG6.

Old 09-26-16, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There will be some small loss with a BNC to coax F connector, but not enough to be an issue for DIY CCTV. It should work just fine.

Old 09-27-16, 05:55 PM
Converting from /to RG58/RG59 for video feeds presents little issues in my experience. I have never run high def on 58 or 59 but that's coming up soon for me but it can't hurt for you to try.

Remember there may be terminators screwed on some connectors (like outside) and these should probably be removed, or just caps installed also the way the feeds run may not be in series.

Luckily unless the cable is stapled you can use the 58 to pull the 59, while at it use a good quality siamese cable if you go that route.

Old 09-27-16, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
We need to hear back from the OP to answer our questions.
If the house is pre-wired it's more likely the cable is RG-6.

Old 09-28-16, 09:11 AM
Yep, the locations were pre wired for security cameras. All the boxed stores I have gone to have only BNC style setups. The Wires that are present are a cat5e wires, rg6 coaxail, and 16/2 power wires (black/red)

The ends are already terminated on the coaxail to a F connector, and also terminated inside the home to a F connector setup.

But most DIY home kits security cameras are BNC style or cat5e POE setup.

Looks like posts have stated if i added a F connection/BNC adapter it will have minimal loss/interference for the home security camera setup

Monoprice has them:
BNC F Adapters - Monoprice.com

Old 09-28-16, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, the locations were pre wired for security cameras
Almost........

Your major problem is surveillance cameras run on RG-59 cable..... not RG-6.
The adapters you are asking about are fine. You may have some loss in the RG-6 but you should still get a good picture.

Consider a POE system. Basically the wave of the future.

Old 10-16-16, 12:54 AM
Cutting the end of coax cable is not a good idea. Use adapters.

Old 10-16-16, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The RG6 is actually a heavier, better shielded, cable with a larger core conductor. It's actually the higher bandwidth cable. It's actually a bit of an overkill for CCTV, but it will work just fine. Just leave the original connectors in place, and use an adaptor. The tiny amount of loss for the connector is pretty much offset by the higher capacity of the cable itself.