ADT conundrum

Old 09-27-16, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ADT conundrum

Folks,
I need some education here, so I can try and either move forward or forget the idea. Just sent the ADT installer on his way, very nice guy and very informed. I didnít proceed with the job. What I want to do is dump my landline, that is the sole reason around changing anything.
What I thought I was getting from ADT was a nice easy install of a chunk of electronics (ADT Pulse) that will allow wireless communication with the ADT desk. Not soÖ.he would have needed to run a DSL cable from the modem up through the wall and over to drop down to the alarm control panel. He also would have had to replace the mother board in the control panel and that would have nixed the two off wall programme units I have. He also wasnít too comfortable about the house being 99% hard wired for windows and doors, he wasnít sure if the windows would work with the new wireless unit. What I was led to believe by those nice sales folks didnít sound like a 1 hr. job to me when talking to the installer. Iím not interested in anyone crawling around attic piping and insulation in a 30 year old house.
He did say all that I need is an ADT wireless communicator, he showed me a single piece of hardware about the size of a laptop transformer. We didnít get into details, soÖit sounds like the wireless communicator would not require any DSL modem feed? Sound right? and install easily next to the alarm control panel? It also sounds like I would lose the ability to run the system from a smart phone if thereís no DSL feed to the control panel?
How are you all coping with changing ADT systems from the hard wired to the wireless type? I think Iím a Safewatch 3000, I can check that. Any thoughts, tips to help educate me with 'security systems 101' appreciated. The only driver in this is to ditch the $600 / year phone bill.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-16, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
It also sounds like I would lose the ability to run the system from a smart phone if there’s no DSL feed to the control panel?
That is correct. I'd look into having the network communicator installed. It will be the least costly of the communication methods.

Old 09-27-16, 05:36 PM
First off if you are like me you use the LL mainly for the alarm? Then get rid of ALL the telco services like caller ID, call fwd AND long distance. My bill went to $25.

Next up consider these issues.

Telco is likely THE most reliable comms available

A LL can have one wireless handset in EVERY room that never dies like a cell and a cell is rarely on me everywhere in my house. I have 7 handsets at home and NEVER miss a call because I tell friends to call that number first.

My fax line on my PC is invaluable and there 24-7.

The City sends warnings to my home that are home related. Good for anyone at home worthless to a cell.

Of you are comitted to the LL removal I am afraid the pain to accomplish it is something you will have to live with.

On the upside should the LL go away you should consider up front a video surveillance system at the same time to integrate them

More pain, but more gain

Old 09-28-16, 05:15 AM
Thank you both. PJ I will further investigate the wireless communicator option. I'm assuming this is not a piece of kit that I can hook up?, ie: it will need ADT to program it in some way to connect to their system?

gnappi - Good thought and after the ADT guy had gone, I had a similar epiphany in that I strip the phone bill down to it's most base parts and see where I'm at cost wise. For me though, I would end up disconnecting the handsets just to get rid of the nuisance sales calls. So the only live connection would be ADT. At the moment we have the 'Call Blocker' device but it needs caller id on the phone line in order to block the calls. If I remove caller id to save a bit on the bill the phone will be ringing off the hook. But a good thought!
Thanks folks, I appreciate the responses.

Old 09-28-16, 06:58 AM
I completely disagree with gnappi's statement that Telco is "THE most reliable comms available".

Nearly all phone lines these days have been converted from analog copper lines to digital service. Alarm systems were never designed to send analog alarm signals through a digital phone service and therefore the communications to the central station will be unreliable. I've seen signals come in as "invalid" meaning that they don't hit to any account and therefore don't get acted on. I've seen signals from one account hit to another account entirely because the digital service mixed up the original data. Even if you are one of the few that has a true analog copper phone line at your home, phone companies are changing out their switches from analog to digital so once the signal leaves your house, it will be prone to all of the same issues described above.

I would strongly recommend going with the cellular alarm communicator. Even though ADT can't provide you with smart phone control using only that unit, other companies would be able to help you upgrade your system to using a cellular module that would allow you to control the system from a computer or mobile device. Are you able to provide what's printed on the PROM chip in the middle of your green circuit board inside the beige metal alarm cabinet? It should start with 'WA'.

Old 09-28-16, 08:48 AM
Thanks,
The Control Board Prom is:
WA3001-2.0A - Pittway

on top of the main control board is a smaller board with what I believe is the wi-fi sensor controls, most of the house is wired but we do have a few wi-fi sensors and a glass break. The main chip on that board is:

Pittway - NH230-AB

Thanks

Old 09-28-16, 08:58 AM
If you were to purchase a GSMV4G-TC2, you'll get a PROM upgrade chip that would convert your WA3001-2.0 to a new WA20P (VISTA-20P which is the non-ADT branded version of your existing system) panel and a cellular alarm communicator you could wire to your panel to get full cellular based monitoring (no phone line or Ethernet required) and Total Connect 2.0 connectivity to control your system remotely.

You'd have to move away from ADT for this solution but there are lots of companies that support the AlarmNet GSMV4G communicator.

Old 09-28-16, 09:14 AM
Thanks very much I will definitely look into this as an option. I'm on a month to month with ADT anyway.
I'm assuming this is not a DIY install? I'm pretty handy with electronics I was a computer systems field engineer for 30 years...I do accept though that doesn't mean I'm in the know about security systems, and the ultimate monitoring service provider would I guess have to make a visit to test everything out.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Old 09-28-16, 09:37 AM
Most alarm companies wouldn't support this type of upgrade as a DIY model but there certainly are some good companies out there that will if you do some Googling.