bypassing/silencing ADT smoke alarm

Old 10-08-16, 09:34 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bypassing/silencing ADT smoke alarm

Recently my smoke alarm went off, while I was preparing a meal that got very very smokey. I couldn't bypass/silence the smoke detector noise and ADT called me to confirm all was ok.

I asked them if there was a way of silencing it for a period of time, they said no.

I'm looking to the forum if anyone knows how to silence the alarm in situations like this. A limited 10 minute silence for example until the air clears. similar to regular smoke detectors.

that was insane and has me scared anytime smoke from cooking starts to build up.

thank you in advance.

Old 10-08-16, 10:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I asked them if there was a way of silencing it for a period of time, they said no.
They are correct.

I install fire alarms and there is not a way to delay or temporarily suspend the operation of a life safety device. If you suspect that you've created smoke that may set it off.... you can contact your monitoring agency to put the account on test for xx minutes.

Old 10-08-16, 11:08 PM
T
create your own cover using some type of plastic bowl or, just tape it up while you cook. just remember to remove it afterward.

or you can just let it sound off and keep a can of canned air handy [to clear the air]. the monitoring company should call before dispatching then you can have them cancel it.

though, as stated previously, it is a life safety device and you really do not want it disabled.

if it is more than 10 years old i would recommend replacing it.

Old 10-13-16, 11:13 AM
F
thank you for the info.

Its a brand new device, maybe 6 months ago. it went off while i used a cast iron skillet for the first time lol
they said they can turn off from their side. if they turn it off on their side or put it in test mode, would that turn off the actual siren on the smoke detector?

if it doesn't I may have to find an alternative or even take it off and put a regular smoke detector that I could actually turn off the siren. can i remove it off the ceiling without the alarm going off?

as I said worst case I switch back to regular old smoke detectors that simply beeps and i can turn off or maybe the nest smoke detector, which would connect with ADT like the thermostat I would assume, if it lets me turn the siren off.

this is a 6 month old ADT system with pulse.

thank you for the feedback.

Old 10-13-16, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
They don't "turn it off" at their end. They just don't dispatch the fire department or call to verify with you as long as it's within the time you specify.

There is no way to correctly disable that smoke detector at your end. Just removing it will cause your alarm panel to register a trouble. Then the keypad will beep until the problem is corrected.

The only logical thing I can thing of is having ADT exchange the smoke detector for a heat detector or have it moved away from the kitchen where it shouldn't have been from the start.

I'm not real familiar with the nest smoke detector but it does not report to ADT. It would have to report to some third party that the nest has setup.

Old 10-13-16, 11:47 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
There actually is a away to silence the alarm noise for awhile when you trip the smoke detector, but it's not as easy as entering commands on the keypad, and you'll have to do it and then undo it every time you burn the roast (or whatever).

What you will need to do is find the control panel (not necessarily the keypad) and unplug the transformer and disconnect the backup battery. I don't know what kind of equipment ADT is installing nowadays (or 6 months ago), so without a make and model number, I can't advise you about exactly what to look for as far as the panel. It will have a transformer plugged in somewhere and it will have a backup battery at the control. Powering it down is kind of a PIA, but it's better than listening to the siren and keypad(s) wailing for 15 or more minutes.

After the smoke sensor has had time to clear its chamber, remember to power it back up again. No programming or settings will be lost. If you use the system regularly, you won't forget to power it back up.

If that smoke sensor is tripping whenever you burn something on the stove, then it was placed in the wrong place. A cardinal rule in placing smoke sensors is NEVER where kitchen smoke is going to flow into it (unless you're smoking up the entire house). I would follow fnalme's advice and have ADT replace it with a heat sensor, which sounds like what they should have put there in the first place.

If ADT thinks they should charge you for their mistake, and if you're feeling handy, we can advise you on how you can replace it yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: