Security camera needed.

Old 10-28-16, 11:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Security camera needed.

I'm not ready to install a complete home security camera system, yet. That said, I have an issue with someone stealing yard signs from my property and I'd like to catch them on camera.

Any simple DIY security camera ideas?

Last edited by c1351996; 10-29-16 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 02:34 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Gota ask, what kind of yard signs are worth enough to offset the cost of cameras.

Old 10-29-16, 03:43 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
If you have an old smart phone or tablet you can download Presence it's free Download Presence Today FREE! — Presence

Old 10-29-16, 04:01 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Another app that works similar is Home Security Camera-Alfred from Alfred Labs

Old 10-29-16, 04:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
How about a hunting trail camera. They are inexpensive and self contained so you place them anywhere.

Old 10-29-16, 08:47 AM
C
Originally Posted by ray2047

Gota ask, what kind of yard signs are worth enough to offset the cost of cameras.
Not the point but the kind of yard signs that are apparently worth trespassing on my property and stealing. They have not lasted more than 3 days to 3 weeks, each time I replace them, even though I keep moving them closer to my house.

Old 10-29-16, 08:51 AM
C
Originally Posted by Doorman2722

If you have an old smart phone or tablet you can download Presence it's free Download Presence Today FREE! — Presence
Originally Posted by Norm201

Another app that works similar is Home Security Camera-Alfred from Alfred Labs
Sadly, the only old smart phone I have is a Palm Treo, which I doubt would be compatible with any apps.

Old 10-29-16, 09:15 AM
C
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane

How about a hunting trail camera. They are inexpensive and self contained so you place them anywhere.
Interesting...How well does it work at night?

Old 10-29-16, 01:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Most have built in infra red illuminators (flash) to take pictures in total darkness. One type the LED's are visible as a dull red if you look directly at them. This is the cheaper style and has the best range. A more new technology and a bit more expensive are "black" LED's. When they illuminate it's totally out of the range of human and almost all animal vision so there is nothing visible when it takes a picture. The drawback is the illumination range is not as great.

All trail cameras have a motion sensor so they only take a photo when something passes in front of the camera. So, unlike a security camera you don't have to scan through hours or days of footage when nothing is happening. Most cameras also allow you to select a movie or photos when something is detected.

If you have trouble with people stealing signs from your yard you should consider locking the trail camera. Many come with a camouflage scheme so they are easily hidden and many also have a spot built in to accept a cable lock so you can lock it to a tree.

Old 11-04-16, 07:34 AM
C
Thanks, that's very helpful. Started doing research and got a bit overwhelmed. What minimum specs do you look for? Is there a recommended manufacturer and/or model? In the meantime, I've put a 3rd new sign inside my house in the Bay window and started lining up local security camera companies to get estimates on an entire home security camera system.

That said, here's the metal yard sign frame, which my signs fit over top of like a glove. How can I rig this up in my yard so, when someone grabs it, they get a nice shock? Nothing strong enough to harm them but enough of a shock to wake their arse up and stop f*ing with them.

Name:  yard sign frame.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  28.2 KB

Old 11-04-16, 09:04 AM
That will be considered criminal and will get you in lots of trouble.
Think a little. A sign is stolen vs a person getting injured. (A mild shock is very subjective. To young kid it could cause trauma, to an old person it could cause a heart failure, to a pet it could cause death.)
Get the cam and catch them in the act, or get motion controlled lighting that will make it so bright that they will run before taking the sign.

PS...Don't replace immediately. Wait about a week or two. You are playing into their hands. They are getting the reaction from you that they want. If you keep replacing they will keep taking. Are these political signs? If so place on a high area . That's what I did. Thery c an't reach it.

Last edited by Norm201; 11-04-16 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 11:31 AM
C
Originally Posted by Norm201
That will be considered criminal and will get you in lots of trouble...
With all due respect, that's my concern, not yours.

Old 11-04-16, 11:53 AM
Although I do not speak for the moderators, with all due respect the members of this forum cannot and will not condone or advise how to injure yourself or others, nor will we advise how to illegally make something. Nor if known we will not advise against code and/or will advise poster to check local code on all projects. There are times that a recommendation may not be correct, but others in the forum will quickly advise accordingly.

To the Mods: If I'm wrong please delete this post and advise me accordingly.

Old 11-04-16, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
You are correct Norm.
There will be no discussion here as to how to electrically charge the sign brackets.
Although it may sound like an ideal solution.... it is NOT.

Old 11-04-16, 02:13 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I'm with you, Norm. This, "I've got a secret" game that some new posters play sickens me. Once I find out they refuse to share all details I'm finished with the thread.

Old 11-04-16, 08:52 PM
C
Thanks, not a problem...I found helpful folks elsewhere. With all due respect, I specifically said
"Nothing strong enough to harm them...".
Obviously, I' wasn't talking about hurting anyone but rather deterring the thieves, who are trespassing on my property i.e. hooking up something like a 1.5-joule electric fence to the signs using copper wiring.

Last edited by c1351996; 11-04-16 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 04:03 AM
"Nothing strong enough to harm them...".
How do you know? Are you a doctor? Do you know waht voltage is small enough to not harm a pet or person?

You seem to be missing the point.

I do sympathize with you. I also have had signs stolen from my front lawn.

Electrifying them is not a deterrent. It's dangerous no matter what the voltage.

In my neighborhood we have young children and many pets. Many times I've seen kids run from their mothers to go grab what looks like a fun item, only to be brought close to getting hurt.
Just imagine a child who may be epileptic. He touches a very mildly charged sign on your lawn. The shock throws him into a spasm. Or a young puppy gets away from a very excited kid and runs to the nearest "rest stop" to pee, your sign! water (pee) is conductive. You do see the results, don't you?

That other forum who gave you advice is leaving themselves wide open for possible law suits if something should happen based upon your decision to follow their advice.

Is a sign worth that much?

Why not try the bright light idea or a audible sound or a cheap camera (as little as $35 will get you cheap one that can be used for other things).

We are not trying give you a hard time. We are trying to give you alternative choices. Vengeance is not one of them.

Old 11-05-16, 08:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Hookay, since the tenor of this thread is rapidly spinning out of the realm of "security", and valid suggestions have already been offered; I'm going to close it out before the noise to signal ratio gets any worse...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: