Wiring a photoelectric eye to automatic gate opener

Old 11-02-16, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a photoelectric eye to automatic gate opener

Hi! First post ever! I believe this is straightforward but I have no experience with this sort of wiring. We have an automatic gate opener at our church parking lot. We want to add a safety feature where if the gate is closing, it will open back up if a photo eye beam is broken.

The opener is an Elite SL3000 from 2010 with an "Elite OmniControl Surge Suppressor unit" where the photo eye should connect. The photo cell is a Seco-Larm reflective beam sensor (E-931-S50RRLQ). The wiring diagrams for both are attached here.

I see from the manual for this opener that the photo eye will connect to the Elite OmniControl Surge Suppressor unit. I am not clear how to connect the wires on the Seco-Larm unit. I see the following wiring diagram in the Seco-Larm manual, but it is not clear which wires go where. Can you please advise how to connect the Seco-Larm to this opener?

Do I connect power (1 & 2) from sensor to 11 & 13 on the opener control? And also connect 6 & 7 from sensor to 3 & 4 on the opener control? Do I need to jump any wires on the Seco-Larm sensor? Thanks.

First pic is for the photo eye; the second pic is from the gate manual.
Name:  photo eye wiring diagram.jpg
Views: 4124
Size:  30.8 KBName:  gate wiring diagram.jpg
Views: 4551
Size:  21.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-16, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Connect 1 from eye to 13 on the opener.
Connect 2 from eye to 11 on the opener.
Connect 3 from eye to 3 on the opener.
Connect 4 from eye to 4 on the opener.

3 and 4 is a normally closed switch on the eye. Your opener may require a normally open switch. In that case use 5 from the eye in place of 4. You don't need a tamper connection.

Old 11-02-16, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Before your reply I also sent this question to Seco-Larm support. I wasn't expecting a response, but they did. The response was the same as yours except they said connect COM and N.O (3 & 5) on the eye to the opener on terminals 3 & 4. I guess this is what you are saying in your last sentence as well. Right?

But I don't think they are correct because the photo eye diagram says "Connect the N.C. tamper terminal to the tamper circuit of the alarm control panel". Thoughts?

Is there a way to test if I should use N.C. or N.O on the photo eye.....by say running a jumper between terminals 3 & 4 on the gate opener -- if the gate opens when I connect the jumper then it's requiring an N.O. contact closure??

Last edited by zajirima; 11-02-16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
You don't need the tamper connections. They are only needed for a high security installation to prevent tampering with the wiring.

The jumper test is your simple way to verify how to connect the relay output. 99% of all inputs on such controls will be a normally open that closes to actuate. If it were not, there would be a jumper in place on the gate controller input points.

Old 11-02-16, 02:27 PM
Got it. So that means I should use #5 (or N.O.) on the photo eye to connect to the gate opener control. Is that right? (Please see the diagrams in the original post).

Old 11-02-16, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, NO means that the contact closes on activation.

Old 11-02-16, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
if the gate opens when I connect the jumper then it's requiring an N.O. contact closure??
Correct. You would use 3 and 5 on the eye.

On some control systems..... the sensors are normally closed and put in series. If either opens.... the gate opens.

So.... I'd like to hear how your test went for future reference.

Old 11-07-16, 08:56 AM
thanks for the guidance. totally noob question: what gauge of wire can i use to connect the photo eye to the control unit. total distance with be less than 5 feet. csn i just use cat5 wire?

Old 11-07-16, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The CAT 5 wire will work, but you should go up to 18 or 22 gauge, as that's what the connectors are sized for. (CAT 5 is 24 gauge)

Old 11-18-16, 08:14 AM
Confirming that the following connections worked perfectly. THANK YOU to everyone who helped resolve this question.

Connect 1 from eye to 13 on the opener.
Connect 2 from eye to 11 on the opener.
Connect 3 from eye to 3 on the opener.
Connect 5 from eye (N.O.) to 4 on the opener

Old 11-18-16, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Normally closed mode. Thanks for letting us know.